This simple Poached Chicken recipe is a staple in any kitchen. Whether you’re making a chicken salad sandwich, burritos, enchiladas, or any other recipe that calls for shredded chicken, you’ll get juicy, tender, and flavorful chicken every time by following our simple steps.
Flavorful and Simple Poached Chicken
We all love a hard-working protein for those busy week night dinners, and our poached chicken is exactly that. Serve it plain and simple with a side of veggies for the littles, throw it on top of some greens with a yummy balsamic dressing for a lunch on the go, or use it to make our comforting Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwich. No matter which option you chose, it’s guaranteed to be an easy and delicious meal for all.
What You Will Need
- Skinless chicken breast – The simpler the better here. What may seem ordinary at first will quickly become transformed into your favorite go-to ingredient.
- A large pot – choose a pot that has enough to space to comfortably hold 1 lb of chicken breasts submerged in water.
- Water – It can’t get more simple than this!
What is the Difference Between Boiled Chicken and Poached Chicken
Poaching is a much gentler approach than boiling. When poaching, foods are submerged in barely simmering liquid, which helps to retain moisture. Boiling could result in the food becoming rubbery and tough.
How To Store Poached Chicken
Allow your poached chicken to cool completely and then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or in the freezer for up to four months.
How Long Does it Take to Poach Chicken
This varies slightly depending on how strong the water is simmering, but expect your chicken to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature is at 165 degrees.
What Sauces Can I Use on Poached Chicken
The uses for shredded chicken are endless, but if you’re looking for a quick way to jazz up this simple recipe, top your poached chicken with homemade BBQ sauce for a simple BBQ sandwich, turn leftovers into chicken enchiladas with red enchilada sauce, or toss it into a salad and top with Caesar dressing.
How to Make the Juiciest Poached Chicken
Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil.
Add the chicken breasts to the boiling pot of water.
Let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Remove the chicken from the from pot and let cool slightly. With two forks, gently shred your chicken.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Poached Chicken – an easy, step-by-step tutorial that teaches you how to make poached chicken! Perfect for salads and dips!
- 1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add chicken breasts.
- Let simmer 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from pot and let cool slightly.
- Shred with two forks and use in your favorite salad recipe (we love this one).
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Chicken Thighs: you can easily use chicken thighs (I would recommend boneless chicken thighs) instead of chicken breasts. It may take a little less time for these to cook through.
- Uses: use for chicken dip (try this bbq chicken dip) or salads (try this Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad).
Keywords: poached chicken