A simple recipe for making perfectly smokey and crisp Grilled Romaine Lettuce. Enjoy as a delicious side salad or as a base to a really amazing salad that will have so much great flavor!
Easy Grilled Romaine Lettuce
If you aren’t grilling your romaine lettuce…. you need to try it! It is summer and everyone has their grill out! And if you are thinking of making a little side salad to go with your grilled chicken breasts – think again! You NEED to try a grilled romaine salad instead! This could not be easier and the flavor is so amazing! You can keep it simple with some olive oil, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese or you can add a variety of vegetables and toppings to make a bigger grilled vegetable salad. If you go with the bigger salad, just make sure you drizzle on our creamy Italian dressing – so good!
What You Will Need
- romaine lettuce – you will want to give this a nice rinse and then pat it dry before grilling.
- olive oil – option to use olive oil or avocado oil to give the lettuce a nice char.
- kosher salt & pepper – the perfect simple seasoning when making any grilled veggies.
- seasoning or flavor options – you can dress this up with some fresh lemon juice, parmesan cheese, garlic, bacon, red onion, egg, corn, cherry tomatoes, or any other toppings that sound good to you!
- salad dressing options – we love a creamy Italian dressing, but you could also use blue cheese or ranch dressing.
How To Grill Romaine Lettuce
You can begin this simple process by prepping the lettuce and then brushing with olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper.
What Temperature Do I Grill Romaine Lettuce At
We like to grill it at a pretty high temp (450-500 degrees F) so that you get a really nice char on the outside. Just make sure you flip the lettuce halfway through the cooking process to char it on all sides.
Lay your lettuce flat side down and let cook 2-3 minutes, or until it is nicely charred. Flip over and let cook for 1-2 minutes on the other side as well.
Enjoy with any of your favorite toppings or as a base to your favorite salad recipe!
Grilled Romaine Serving Suggestions
- Simply serve with some olive oil, fresh lemon, salt and pepper.
- Throw a little grilled chicken breast on top and make a Caesar salad!
- Serve it with some Instant Pot BBQ Ribs or Smoked Baby Back Ribs.
- Use as a base when making any of these amazing salads – Grilled Shrimp Salad, Grilled Flank Steak Salad, or a Grilled Salmon Salad!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Grilled Romaine Lettuce – a simple step-by-step guide on how to grill romaine lettuce (it’s SO easy and the flavor it amazing!). Perfect for any summer salad!
- 1 or more head of romaine lettuce
- 1–2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or avocado oil)
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- Clean grill grates and heat grill to 450-500 degrees F.
- While grill heats up, rinse romaine and shake gently to remove as much water as possible; gently pat dry.
- Cut lengthwise so each head is in two separate pieces and leaves are held together by the stem.
- Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place cut-side down on grill on direct heat and let cook for 2-3 minutes or until lettuce is nicely charred.
- Gently flip over and grill other side for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove and serve with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper or however you desire! We love using it to make a delicious grilled vegetable salad!
Keywords: grilled romaine lettuce, grilled romaine salad, how to grill romaine lettuce