Grilled Romaine – how to grill romaine lettuce (it’s SO easy and the flavor it amazing!) Whole30/Paleo/Plant-Based
If you aren’t grilling your romaine lettuce…. you’re doing it wrong!
It is summer (finally) and everyone has their grill out! And if you are thinking of making a little side salad to go with your grilled chicken breasts – think again! You NEED to try some grilled romaine salad instead! This could not be easier, you guys and the flavor is so amazing! Here is a little FAQ session to answer some of your questions and calm your fears!
Will my grilled romaine burst into flames?
No! It should get nice and charred (like in the picture), but nothing more! Promise!
How do I prep my romaine lettuce for the grill?
Give it a light rinse and shake off as much water as possible. Then cut lengthwise (don’t cut off the bottom of the stem – that holds all the leaves together on the grill). Brush with olive oil (or avocado oil) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. That’s it!
What temperature do I grill romaine lettuce?
450-500. Lay you lettuce flat side down and let cook 2-3 minutes, or until it is nicely charred. Flip over and let cook for 1-2 minutes on the other side as well. Then remove from grill and serve with whatever toppings you want!
Grilled Romaine Serving Suggestions:
- Simply serve with some olive oil, fresh lemon, salt and pepper
- Throw a little grilled chicken breast on their and make a Caesar salad!
- Serving it with some Instant Pot BBQ Ribs
- Maybe do some roasted cauliflower and squeeze some fresh lemon + olive oil on top!
How to grill romaine (it makes the best side dish or entree salad!)
- Clean grill grates and heat grill to 450-500 degrees.
- While grill heats up, rinse romaine and shake gently to remove as much water as possible; gently pat dry.
- Cut lengthwise so each head is in two separate pieces and leaves are held together by the stem.
- Brush both sides with olive or avocado oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place cut-side down on grill on direct heat (directly over flame) and let cook for 2-3 minutes or until lettuce is nicely charred.
- Gently flip over and grill other side for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove and serve with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper or however you desire!
Keywords: grilled romaine, grilled romaine salad, how to grill romaine
Thank you so much for reading & supporting The Wooden Skillet! This post includes affiliate links for products I actually use in my own home and personally recommend. Should you make a purchase using one of these links, The Wooden Skillet will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. Thank you!