Healthy Homemade Sloppy Joes are a classic, easy, go-to weeknight dinner that we are taking to the next level! This version is easy, healthy and a sandwich you won’t forget!
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY:
This post is sponsored by Country Natural Beef, the opinions are my own.
BEST Homemade Sloppy Joes
I have had plenty of sloppy joes in my day … I am not kidding, these are the BEST I have ever had! The flavors in the mix and sauce are so good and then those toppings! We are adding in quick-pickled onions, pickles and a little extra dijon mustard (because, why not). They come together perfectly!
Another reason they are so good … the beef! Country Natural Beef is 100% owned by family ranchers and is G.A.P. Step 4 Animal Welfare Certified which means that their animals are pasture-raised, fed a vegetarian diet, provided a safe and enriched environment and never receive antibiotics or added hormones.
They also happen to be a Whole30-Approved partner! And I have to say, this is honestly the best ground beef I have ever tasted. You truly can tell the difference and I am so proud to be partnering with them today!
Why This Recipe Works
- Sloppy Joe Sauce: the combo of soy sauce, two different mustards and lots of other delicious ingredients all Combe together to make the most delicious combo!
- Toppings: I cannot rave about these toppings enough! They just take these sandwiches to the next level and make them Ultimate Sloppy Joes! You cannot skip them!
- Easy and Good: sloppy joes are just good ole comfort food that comes together quickly and that everyone seems to enjoy!
What You Will Need
- garlic: because pretty much every savory recipe better with garlic!
- yellow onion + red onion: I love using two kinds of onions because it adds in some depth of flavor.
- bell pepper: adds a bit of crunch.
- kosher salt + ground black pepper: helps bring out the other flavors.
- County Natural Beef Butcher’s Blend Ground Beef: seriously the best ground beef I have ever tasted!
- dijon mustard + yellow mustard + apple cider vinegar: these adds in acidity to help round out the flavors.
- ketchup + tomato paste: to help create that tomato-sauce base.
- coconut sugar: rounds out the flavors by adding a touch of sweetness.
- soy sauce + worstershire sauce: adds in some umami flavors. Feel free to use a gluten-free alternative.
- chili powder: this adds a pop of flavor and you can add more if you want to up the spice.
What is a Sloppy Joe
A Sloppy Joe is a sandwich that is usually served on a bun with ground beef, spices and tomato-based sauce.
Sloppy Joe Side Dishes
Here are some yummy side dishes to serve with these:
- Roasted Broccolini
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Deviled Egg Potato Salad
- maybe some S’mores Bars for dessert!
How to Make Homemade Sloppy Joes
Chop up your onions and bell peppers so they are ready to go.
then get your other add-ins ready to go.
After you sauté your garlic, onions and bell peppers add in your ground beef and cook until it is fully cooked. Then add in your remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Feel free to serve with some roasted sweet potatoes if you want a paleo-friendly version!
But my favorite way to serve is on a whole-wheat or sprouted grain bun with ALL the toppings (pickled red onions, pickles and dijon mustard).
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Recipes You Might Like
How to Grill the Perfect Burger
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
Easy Burrito Bowls
Healthy Homemade Sloppy Joes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner/Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Healthy Homemade Sloppy Joes – an insanely good recipe for Sloppy Joes made with simple, ingredients and the best toppings around!
Sloppy Joe Mix:
- 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 1–2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 – 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound County Natural Beef Butcher’s Blend Ground Beef
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce (omit for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- bun of your choice (gluten-free if needed)
- slice of cheese (regular or dairy-free)
- dijon mustard
- burger pickles
- pickled red onions
- Bring large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add ghee or oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add garlic and move around the pan until fragrant, about 10-20 seconds.
- Add onions and diced bell pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, allowing onions to soften.
- Add ground beef to the pan. Move around the pan until beef is cooked through, about 5-10 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- Add dijon mustard, yellow mustard, ketchup, coconut sugar, soy sauce, kosher salt, pepper, tomato paste, chili powder, worstershire sauce and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust: if you want more sloppy joes more “saucey” simply add additional ketchup and tomato paste. Otherwise, adjust any salt or pepper, as desired.
- Serving: take your bun and place a slice of cheese (dairy-free or regular) on the bottom. Then add a scoop of the Sloppy Joe mix. On top of that add a few burger pickles, some pickled onions and then a little extra dijon mustard. Enjoy!!!
- Toppings: don’t skip the toppings – seriously SO GOOD!!
- Dairy-Free: to make this dairy-free simply use olive oil (instead of ghee) and opt for a dairy-free cheese slice (or simply omit).
- Gluten-Free: use tamari instead of soy sauce, omit the worcestershire sauce and serve on a gluten-free bun.
Keywords: homemade sloppy joes, healthy sloppy joes
Erin, overall enjoyed it a lot but will tone down the salt on the next round. 1/2 the soy sauce and maybe no additional salt. Just our tastebuds I guess. Thanks again
Totally get it – everyone has different preferences when it comes to salt! Thanks for trying the recipe!
Amazing, simple and delicious, already shared your recipe with some family and friends looking for a healthier version of the “sloppy Joe’s”we grew up with. We used the Force of Nature grass fed beef. Thanks again
Lisa T says
Making this tonight and the prep has been super easy! Excited to add this into the rotation.
Realllly tastey w pickled onions, spicy pickles. Added some smoked paprika. One of my faves now
These were a huge hit with the whole family!! And super easy to make!
Lisa A. says
My kids and husband love this version of Sloppy Joe’s! Even incorporate sweet potatoes if not in mood for the bun. A weekly dinner in our house!
Very good on a chilly NC night! I used ground turkey with a 1/2 lb of lean ground beef. Turned out great! Just trying to figure out cals/macros.
Amber McKinney says
Can this be made in the crock pot?
Soo good!! Our personal preference was to add the extra ketchup/tomato sauce. Trust this: double the recipe – you won’t be sad!!!
So glad you enjoyed it, Lizzie! And thanks for taking the time leave feedback – I really appreciate it!
SO Good! Another good add in with green pepper is finely chopped carrot. Adds a little crunch and a lot of nutrition.
Thanks, Rebekah! And yes, love the addition of chopped carrots!