How to Grill Sweet Potatoes – a quick and simple way to cook sweet potatoes!
Easy Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Grilled sweet potatoes recently became a family favorite in our house! We grill A LOT (even in the winter) and it’s nice to be able to grill an entire meal (so much less clean-up). We love sweet potatoes so one day we decided to just slice some up and throw them on the grill – we found our new favorite side dish! And it is SO easy!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Grilled Meal: If you are grilling the rest of your meal, why not add in your potato too.
- Kid-Friendly: My kiddos love this recipe! Rarely any leftovers.
- Delicious: The flavor of the soft potato and the charred outside is so delicious.
How long to Grill Sweet Potatoes
This does depend, in part, on how thick you cut your sweet potatoes, but I would recommend cutting them approximately 1/4 – 1/2 inches thick. At this thickness you grill them about 3 minutes per side or until they are nice and charred.
What Temp to Grill Sweet Potatoes
You want your grill pretty hot – 500 degrees F. and make sure you grill over direct heat (directly over the flame) and preferably in the middle of the grill where the heat is at its highest.
I HIGHLY recommend you serve these with some mustard mayo dipping sauce!!!
What to Serve with Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Broccoli
- Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Broccolini
- Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Steak
How to Store
These will keep maybe for a day or two, but then they will get soggy. So if you have extras let them cook first and then store in airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
How to Cut Sweet Potatoes
For this specific recipe I recommend using a mandolin – very fast and easy to get uniform thickness. Otherwise, I would use a very sharp chef’s knife.
How to Grill Sweet Potatoes
Step One: Cut your sweet potatoes (or yams) into 1/2 – 1/4 inch thick slices or wedges.
Step Two: Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step Three: Place over direct heat in the middle of your grill – grill temp as high as possible. Cook for a total of 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway each side.
Serve and enjoy!
Other recipes you might like:
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!Print
How to Grill Sweet Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2-4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
How to Grill Sweet Potatoes – a quick and simple way to cook sweet potatoes and perfect to add on to any meal! Kid-friendly!
- 1 large sweet potato cut into 1/4–1/2 inch slices or wedges
- avocado oil
- Bring grill up to 500 degrees.
- Slice sweet potatoes and place in large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle some oil over top, just enough to lightly coat the potatoes and then use your hands to rub the oil into each slice, both sides.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Toss to coat.
- Place sweet potatoes over direct heat and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes per side for slices and 3-6 minutes per side for wedges or until nicely charred.
- Remove and serve immediately with mustard mayo (optional).
- How to Cut: for slices I would recommend using a mandolin. For wedges use a sharp chef’s knife.
- How to Store: These will keep maybe for a day or two, but then they will get soggy. So if you have extras let them cook first and then store in airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Yams or Sweet Potatoes: you can use either yams or sweet potatoes in this recipe.
Keywords: how to grill sweet potatoes, grilled sweet potatoes
We make these every time we grill now. Deeeelish!
yay!! Love hearing that, Brooke!! They are a go-to for us as well! Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback! I really appreciate it!
Such a simple, delicious recipe. My husband who typically doesn’t like sweet potatoes even enjoyed these. The mustard mayo mix is delicious with it! I added in fresh chives from my garden and it elevated the sauce to the next level and tasted like somethimg you would order from a restaurant. This will definitely become one of our staple sides this summer. Thank you!
yay!!! So happy to hear that, Emilie!! Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback!!