This simple step-by-step tutorial on how to make the best Grilled Vegetables will have you becoming a grill master in no time! These easy grilled vegetables make the perfect side dish for a simple weeknight dinner, your next backyard cookout, or 4th of July celebration!
The Best Grilled Vegetables
Grilling is a great way to cook your favorite vegetables (summer OR winter!). It is SO quick and easy and there is minimal cleanup, plus the added smokey flavors are perfection! We love to toss these delicious grilled vegetables on whenever we already have the grill fired up to cook our main course. Typically we toss them on when grilling burgers, steaks, or salmon! It is simply the best way to cook fresh vegetables – a super easy side dish recipe!
What You Will Need
- olive oil – option to use avocado oil if you are looking to keep them Whole30/Paleo.
- kosher salt & pepper – simple seasonings that are always a must when cooking vegetables.
- variety of fresh vegetables – this simple process for grilling vegetables will work for any of them, so just grab your favorites and start grilling!
- other optional seasonings: we kept it simple with salt & pepper, but you could also add some lemon juice, fresh herbs, fresh garlic, soy sauce, or a little balsamic vinegar.
Best Veggies to Grill
In this recipe card, we highlight some of the best vegetables – asparagus, zucchini, red onions, yellow squash, & fresh peppers. But you can also make grilled broccoli, grilled broccolini, grilled romaine lettuce, and grilled sweet corn. Oh and don’t forget about sweet potatoes – grilled sweet potatoes are so good! And if you are grilling some of those vegetables with smaller pieces (like brussels sprouts, broccoli florets, etc.) you can use a grill basket instead of placing them right on the grates.
How To Prepare Vegetables for Grilling
- Zucchini: cut off the ends and then cut the zucchini lengthwise in strips.
- Bell Pepper: cut off the ends, cut out the white insides and then cut in half or into quarters.
- Asparagus: break off any tough ends.
- Onion: cut off both ends, remove skin and cut into thick slices.
- Yellow Squash: cut off the ends and then cut the zucchini lengthwise in strips.
How To Grill Vegetables
Prepare the fresh veggies that you will be cooking and then drizzle with olive oil. Massage oil into veggies and sprinkle with salt and pepper. This can be done in a large bowl or baking sheet.
Grill directly on the grill rack of the hot grill at 450 degrees F – most veggies (zucchini, bell pepper, onion and yellow squash) have similar cooking times and take around 2-4 minutes per side and asparagus take about 5-6 minutes total. If you don’t want to cook directly on the grill grates, you could also use a grill pan.
Remove from the grill when they are cooked to your liking and enjoy!
What to Serve with Grilled Vegetables
We love serving grilled vegetables with just about anything! A few of our favorites are:
- Can I prep these ahead of time: Yes, you can cut your veggies the day before and then toss them on the grill when you are ready. Just wait on the oil, salt, and pepper until right before cooking.
- What to do with leftovers: I love leftover grilled veggies just on their own, but they would are great in a little stir fry or steak salad. They can be stored in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
- How to prepare veggies for the grill: After we trim and slice the veggies, as needed, we are really just drizzling them in a little olive oil and then sprinkling with salt and pepper – super simple! Of course, if you have an Italian dressing you can use that as a vegetable marinade as well!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Healthy Grilled Recipes You Might Like
Grilled Vegetables (How to Grill Vegetables)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Grilled Vegetables (How to Grill Vegetables) – a quick and easy tutorial on how to easily grill all of your favorite fresh vegetables!
- 1–2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1–2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1–2 bell peppers
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 red onion
- 1 yellow squash
- Ensure grill grates are clean; preheat grill to 450 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, prepare your veggies and drizzle them in olive oil or avocado oil. Sprinkle them lightly with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Once grill is hot add your vegetables in a single layer (you might have to do more than one batch depending upon how much you are grilling) over direct heat.
- Close the grill lid and let cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Open the grill and flip your zucchini, bell peppers and yellow squash. Rotate the asparagus. Close grill and let cook another 1-2 minutes. Then open and flip your onions. Close the grill.
- After another 2-3 minutes open the grill and your zucchini, bell pepper, asparagus and yellow squash should be done (if they don’t look done enough just close the lid and let them cook a bit more). Otherwise, place them on a platter. Let the onion cook another 1-2 minutes and then remove them from the grill as well.*
- Serve immediately.
- Cook times vary: every grill is different – some can be hotter than others. Always use your best judgment – if you like a more crunchy veggie – don’t cook as long. If you like a really well-cooked veggie – cook a minute or two longer. That being said, veggies really don’t take too long to cook on the grill so stay close and watch them carefully.
- Storage: any grilled vegetable leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Keywords: grilled vegetables, grilled veggies, how to grill vegetables
Addie Bowman Carter says
I love dis it’s been real heard for me and my weight
Glad you love it!!