Pork Belly Tacos are seriously packed with flavor, savory and delicious! You can smoke or oven-roast your pork belly (both great options) and the sesame ginger slaw is just next-level. Feel free to add a little dollop of spicy mayo, but they are just as good without too if that isn’t your thing!
The BEST Pork Belly Tacos
I dreamed up my ultimate pork belly taco recipe …. and this was it. You have two options for you pork belly (smoked or oven-roasted), a light and delicious slaw and the option of a spicy mayo as well! Doesn’t get much better in my opinion!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Flavor Combo: pork belly is pretty rich due to it’s high fat content, but paired with a light slaw it is just perfect!
- Handheld: who doesn’t love a little street taco night!
- Pork Belly: one of my favorite foods of all-time!
What You Will Need
- Pork Belly: if your grocery store doesn’t have pork belly out then simply ask at the deli!
- Kosher Salt + Ground Black Pepper: I like to keep the seasoning simple here!
- Ginger Sesame Slaw: made with red + green cabbage, carrots and green onion + a delicious sauce (mayo-free).
- Spicy Mayo: this is just a little extra if you want it! Feel free to skip!
What Exactly Is Pork Belly
Pork Belly is a slab of bacon before it processed. Simple as that (and probably why it is so dang good).
How Do I Cook Pork Belly
How to Make Pork Belly Tacos
Step One: make your spicy mayo if you are using it.
Step Three: while the pork belly is cooking you can go ahead and make your slaw.
Step Four: put everything together!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
Pork Belly Tacos – an absolutely delicious pork belly taco recipe + sesame ginger slaw and spicy mayo! Smoked or roasted pork belly options!
Crispy Pork Belly (see Notes for Smoked version):
- 1/2 – 1 lb pork belly slab
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Sesame Ginger Slaw:
- 1 1/2 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari or coconut aminos)
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon siracha
- Street Corn Tortillas (flour or corn – whatever you prefer)
Roasted Pork Belly:
- Place pork belly on a large plate and score, criss-crossed, on the fat side (being careful not to cut into the meat) and rub all over with kosher salt and pepper.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours (optional).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place pork belly in a large cast iron skillet, fat side up.
- Cook pork belly, middle rack and uncovered, for 50 minutes; baste halfway through.
- Drop temperature to 250 and cook for another 40-60 minutes. Feel free to baste one more time.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine Slaw ingredients in a medium bowl and mix.
- Combine Sauce ingredients in a small bowl; whisk to combine. Taste and add any additional soy sauce, ginger, lime juice, garlic, etc. as desired.
- Pour the Sauce over the Slaw and stir to combine.
- For best results, let sit for about 15-30 minutes, then serve.
- Combine mayo and siracha in a small bowl. Mix. Taste and add any additional siracha, as desired.
- Take a street taco (flour or corn) and pack with as much slaw, pork belly and spicy mayo (optional) as desired! Enjoy!
- Smoked Pork Belly: you can also smoked your pork belly if you want! Totally delicious alternative!
Keywords: pork belly tacos