Pork Belly Tacos are seriously packed with flavor, savory, tender and delicious! You can smoke or oven-roast your pork belly (both great options) and the sesame ginger slaw is just next-level. Feel free to add a little dollop of spicy mayo, but they are just as good without too if that isn’t your thing!
The BEST Pork Belly Tacos
I dreamed up my ultimate pork belly taco recipe …. and this was it. You have two options for you pork belly (smoked or oven-roasted), a light and delicious slaw and the option of a spicy mayo as well! Doesn’t get much better in my opinion!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Flavor Combo: pork belly is pretty rich due to it’s high fat content, but paired with a light slaw it is just perfect!
- Handheld: who doesn’t love a little street taco night!
- Pork Belly: one of my favorite foods of all-time!
Pork Belly Taco Ingredients
- Pork Belly: if your grocery store doesn’t have pork belly out then simply ask at the deli!
- Kosher Salt + Ground Black Pepper: I like to keep the seasoning simple here!
- Ginger Sesame Slaw: made with red + green cabbage, carrots and green onion + a delicious sauce (mayo-free).
- Spicy Mayo: this is just a little extra if you want it! Feel free to skip!
- Other Add-ins or Toppings: sliced raw red onion, jalapeño, fresh cilantro, lime wedges, quick pickled red onions would all be amazing with this!
What Exactly Is Pork Belly
Pork Belly is a slab of bacon before it processed. Simple as that (and probably why it is so dang good).
How Do I Cook Pork Belly
How to Make Pork Belly Tacos
Make your spicy mayo if you are using it.
While the pork belly is cooking you can go ahead and make your slaw.
Put everything together!
store leftover pork belly in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stove top in a cast iron skillet.
Other Pork Belly Recipes
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
Pork Belly Tacos – an absolutely delicious pork belly taco recipe + sesame ginger slaw and spicy mayo! Smoked or roasted pork belly options!
Crispy Pork Belly (see Notes for Smoked version):
- 1/2 – 1 lb pork belly slab
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Sesame Ginger Slaw:
- 1 1/2 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari or coconut aminos)
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- Street Taco Flour Tortillas (or corn tortillas – whatever you prefer)
Roasted Pork Belly:
- Place pork belly on a large plate and score, criss-crossed, with a sharp knife on the fat side (being careful not to cut into the meat) and rub all over with kosher salt and pepper.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours (optional).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place pork belly in a large cast iron skillet (or other oven-safe pan), fat side up.
- Cook pork belly, middle rack and uncovered, for 50 minutes; baste halfway through.
- Drop temperature to 250 and cook for another 40-60 minutes. Feel free to baste one more time.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine Slaw ingredients in a medium bowl and mix.
- Combine Sauce ingredients in a small bowl; whisk to combine. Taste and add any additional soy sauce, ginger, lime juice, garlic, etc. as desired.
- Pour the Sauce over the Slaw and stir to combine.
- For best results, let sit for about 15-30 minutes, then serve.
- Combine mayo and siracha in a small bowl. Mix. Taste and add any additional siracha, as desired.
- Take a street taco (flour or corn) and pack with as much slaw, pork belly and spicy mayo (optional) as desired! Enjoy!
- Smoked Pork Belly: you can also smoked your pork belly if you want! Totally delicious alternative!
- Other Add-ins or Toppings: sliced raw red onion, jalapeño, fresh cilantro, lime wedges, quick pickled onions would all be amazing with this!
- Leftovers: store leftover pork belly in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stove top in a cast iron skillet.
Keywords: pork belly tacos
Originally published August 25, 2021.