This easy Chicken Lettuce Wraps recipe is made with real, simple ingredients and can be made in under 30 minutes! Nothing better than quick, tasty recipes that can be meal prepped or prepared easily for busy weeknights!
Best Ever Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Okay you guys, I am excited to add this asian chicken lettuce wraps recipe to the blog! It is simple, so delicious and a fan favorite. You could even prep the chicken mixture ahead of time and just heat it up whenever you need it. Perfect option for a great appetizer, for a delicious lunch, or a healthy dinner on those super busy weeknights when you have zero time.
There are no added weird ingredients and they are actually Whole30 + Paleo! I based this one on PF Chang’s lettuce wraps recipe and we promise that you won’t be disappointed, it’s just as good as the restaurant version. They have so much flavor and are one of my new favorite things!
Ever made a lettuce wrap with ground beef? You should definitely try it and we have the best Beef Lettuce Wrap recipe!
What You Will Need
- extra virgin olive oil – a drizzle in the pan to sauté up the aromatics of this dish.
- ginger, garlic, & yellow onion – a combination of delicious aromatics that really bring the flavor!
- ground chicken – this is what we used but you could also use ground turkey or ground pork.
- water chestnuts – perfect way to add a bit of crunch and always a classic when making lettuce wraps.
- kosher salt & ground black pepper – simple seasonings for cooking any type of meat.
- coconut aminos – this will keep the recipe Whole30/Paleo compliant but you could also use soy sauce.
- sesame oil, rice vinegar, & fish sauce – these bring all the classic asian-inspired flavors to the sauce of these wraps.
- tapioca starch – option to grab this or cornstarch from your local grocery store.
- red pepper flakes – this is where you get a little bit of a kick, add as little or as much as you like!
- butter lettuce leaves – in our opinion, it’s the perfect lettuce for wrapping.
- green onions – nice for added flavor and crunch on top!
What Is The Best Lettuce To Use For Lettuce Wraps
Great question! It’s really a matter of personal preference. We love using butter lettuce because they are a good size and hold up nicely to all the filling and sauce we like to put in it. There are a few different types of lettuce, so you could also use iceberg lettuce or romaine lettuce. Use the option that works for you!
How To Make Chicken Lettuce Wraps
First, you can begin cooking these healthy chicken lettuce wraps by gathering and measuring all of your ingredients.
Now bring a large skillet to a medium heat, add a tablespoon of oil, and then the garlic and ginger to sauté.
Then add the chopped yellow onion and move around in the pan until they become translucent.
Next, add the fresh ground chicken until fully cooked. If there is a lot of liquid in the pan, make sure you drain it off and then mix in the water chestnuts.
While this cooking is happening, you can mix together your sauce ingredients in a small bowl and add it to the pan after mixing in the water chestnuts.
Use a wooden spoon to fully combine the mix in the sauce and let is cook for about 2-4 more minutes. Feel free to add any more kosher salt, pepper, or red pepper flakes to your preferred taste.
Now it’s time to assemble your wraps. Grab a butter lettuce leaf, pile on the chicken filling, and top it any way you want!
We love to add some chopped green onions and a little more sauce or coconut aminos.
What Goes Well With Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Honestly, these easy chicken lettuce wraps are great all on their own but if you are looking for some sides we have a few suggestions. We love adding some cauliflower fried rice, a sesame ginger slaw, or your favorite air fryer egg rolls are always good too!
You can absolutely make this great recipe ahead of time! Just make sure you prepare the chicken mixture ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator (it will last about 3 days or so) and then when it is time for dinner just take it out, warm it up, and place in your lettuce wraps! Dinner is ready!
Pro tip: make a double batch of this tasty recipe to enjoy for dinner and then have plenty for leftovers the next day and all week long!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps – A simple and delicious weeknight dinner made with real, simple ingredients in only 30 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1–1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 can diced water chestnuts
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Toppings + Lettuce:
- 1 head of butter lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sauce: Combine ingredients in a small bowl; whisk to combine and set aside.
- Cook chicken filling: Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat the pan. Add garlic and ginger, move around the pan until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion and stir until they reduce and become slightly translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken and stir until fully cooked. If there is a lot of liquid at the bottom of the pan at this point, pour out. Add water chestnuts and stir to combine.
- Add sauce: Pour the Sauce into the cooked chicken mixture. Stir to combine and let cook 2-4 minutes. Taste and add any salt or pepper, to taste.
- Serve: take a leaf of butter lettuce, add chicken mixture, top with chopped green onion, some more coconut aminos (or soy sauce) and any additional red pepper flakes desired.
- Make ahead tip: if you want to prep ahead of time simply make chicken mixture and store in refrigerator, for up to 3 days, then reheat when desired.
- Whole30/Paleo: to keep this recipe compliant, simply use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
- Leftovers: simply store any leftover chicken filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, warm when you are ready to eat, and then add to your lettuce wraps.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 313
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 1004.3 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.3 g
- Protein: 21 g
- Cholesterol: 96.3 mg
Keywords: asian chicken lettuce wraps, chicken lettuce wraps, easy chicken lettuce wraps
Originally published February 1 2018.