Our classic Whiskey Sour is made with only 4 simple ingredients and has the perfect balance of sweet and tart flavors! A simple tart cocktail recipe that will quickly become a real crowd-pleaser at your next backyard happy hour!
The Best Whiskey Sour Recipe
At the end of a long week, there is simply nothing better than a refreshing cocktail that is super easy to make! This whiskey sour cocktail (a.k.a. bourbon sour) can be made in about 10 minutes. Plus, you control the classic cocktail ingredients so you can adjust everything to your preferred taste. Which, in our opinion, is way better than those store-bought mixes that are way too sweet!
And feel free to double or triple the recipe card to share with friends or increase this easy recipe to even more for a crowd. It is quickly going to become your new favorite whiskey drink!
Looking for another easy cocktail recipe? You have to try our Classic Mojito Recipe!
Whiskey Sour Ingredients
- smooth bourbon whiskey – we recommend picking up your favorite high quality type of whiskey from your local whiskey store for the main ingredient.
- fresh lemon juice – the citrus juice brings a little bit of a tang to this cocktail.
- simple syrup – pick some sugar syrup up at the local grocery store or you can easily make a homemade simple syrup!
- raw egg white – we love the frothy texture that you get from a shaken egg white, but feel free to omit if that isn’t your thing.
- fresh ice cubes – always a must when enjoying your favorite cocktail.
- garnish: orange peel, orange slice, lemon twist, or maraschino cherry.
How To Make A Whiskey Sour
The first steps to making an easy whiskey sour are to pour all the ingredients (except the ice) in a mason jar. Or you can use a cocktail shaker.
Next, secure the lid on top and shake vigorously until you start to see a white foam.
Then pour over ice in a beautiful cocktail glass and add any garnish you wish.
Whiskey Sour Variations
This traditional whiskey sour is excellent just the way it is! But if you are looking to mix up this sweet tart drink, there are so many variations you can try. Some people like to use maple syrup instead of simple syrup for more of a natural sweetener. Or lime juice instead of lemon juice. Personally, we love our Cranberry Orange Whiskey Sour – the flavors are next level!
Made this basic simple syrup recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Whiskey Sour – a light and delicious whiskey sour recipe that is easily made at home with just a few simple ingredients!
- 2oz whiskey or bourbon
- 1oz lemon juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 1 small egg white (or use 1/2 egg white if making two)*
- handful of ice cubes
- garnish: orange peel + cocktail cherry
- Add whiskey (or bourbon), lemon juice, simple syrup and egg white to a small mason jar. Seal tightly and shake until liquid becomes a bit foamy.
- Add ice to a glass. Pour liquid over ice.
- Garnish with an orange peel and 1-2 cocktail cherries.
- Serve immediately.
- *Egg White: the egg white is optional – you can definitely omit. Consume raw food at your own risk.
- Make it Sweeter: if you have more of a sweet tooth – try this Cranberry Orange Whiskey Sour!
- Serving Size: 1 cocktail
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 11.5 g
- Sodium: 56.2 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.8 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: whiskey sour, how to make a whiskey sour, whiskey sour recipe