This refreshing Mojito (how to make a mojito) is about to be your star summer cocktail! Make your own mojitos with only 5 simple and fresh ingredients. A classic rum cocktail that is perfect for sipping on the deck or at your next backyard happy hour!
The Best Mojito Recipe
Every summer, for a very long time, one of our favorite cocktails of the summer has been the classic mint mojito! After a very long search for the perfect mixer for this traditional cuban cocktail, we decided it was time to develop our own homemade mojitos. And, oh my gosh, we are so glad we did! With only 5 real ingredients we can make a a delicious drink that doesn’t taste too sweet or syrupy, like all those bottled mixers.
And if you aren’t interested in having any alcohol, just omit the rum, for a delicious virgin mojito (or mocktail)! Either way, this perfect cocktail is going to be on regular rotation at your house too!
Love Mojitos – try this Strawberry Mojito for a fun spin on this classic!
What You Will Need
- fresh mint leaves – if you have ever grown these yourself you know that you will have plenty! They grow like wildfire, which is perfect, because the more the merrier in this in this mint mojito recipe.
- ice – all classic mojito recipes are always better over a full glass of ice.
- good white rum – just pick-up any of your favorite varieties from your local liquor store. You could also use dark rum, spiced rum, or cuban rum, if you prefer.
- lime juice – option to use freshly squeezed lime juice, lime juice from concentrate, or jazz it up with some key lime juice!
- simple syrup – for a touch of sweetness just pick some up at the grocery store or make your own – it’s super easy!
- tonic water – this is a must for topping off this summer cocktail with a little fizz and the best flavor.
How To Make A Mojito
The first steps to making this easy mojito recipe are to gather the ingredients.
Now grab a highball glass and muddle plenty of fresh mint on the bottom to really bring a lot of minty flavor.
Add a generous amount of ice and pour in the rum, lime juice, and simple syrup.
Top with a generous splash of tonic water!
Use a bar spoon to give it a good stir and garnish with a large sprig of mint, of course, and some lime slices or lime wedges.
- tonic water – we highly recommend using tonic water in this cuban classic! We tested the recipe with sparkling water, fizzy soda water, and club soda, but tonic water was the best. As always, do what works for you.
- rum – white rum is the signature alcohol to use in this Cuban punch, but feel free to use your favorite rum!
- cocktail shaker – you could pour all these ingredients (except the tonic water) over ice in a cocktail shaker, mix, and then pour into a glass if you prefer to strain out some of that muddled mint.
- vodka mojito – this is another mojito cocktail that just switches out the rum for vodka.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Easy Mojito Recipe (how to make a mojito) – learn how to make a mojito at home with this easy, tried-and-true recipe! Perfect for a hot summer day!
- Add mint leaves to glass. Use a cocktail muddler to muddle the mint leaves.
- Add ice, rum, lime juice, simple syrup and a splash of tonic water.
- Stir and garnish with fresh lime slice and mint sprigs.
- *Lime Juice: feel free to use fresh lime juice, bottled lime juice or key lime juice.
- **Tonic Water: while you can use a sparkling water or soda water – we tested all the options – the tonic water resulted in the best tasting mojito.
Keywords: how to make a mojito, mojito recipe