Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Spinach, Carrots and Zucchini – the perfect healthy cookie that you AND your kids will love!! (they won’t know there are veggies hidden in them!)
These bad boys are kid-tested (and approved), husband-tested (and approved) and … I even approve of them (and I have stupid-high expectations for myself). Are they cookies? Yes. But, they have carrots and spinach and zucchini in them??!! Yes. Wait, but they taste good? For real? (Maybe she just made them look good in the picture, but they actually taste like poop). I swear, the cookies are G-O-O-D! They are light and fluffy and just…. good.
I made this recipe up a couple of years ago and it was an instant hit with the fam. My first-born was only a couple of years old and I wanted a healthy option for her when it came to dessert and I wanted a way to sneak in some veggies – I also wanted a cookie that didn’t make me feel gross about myself. Voila. These “cookies” could be your breakfast. Peanut butter, applesauce, banana and whole wheat flour are the main ingredients with spinach, carrots and zucchini – I swear you really can’t even taste the veggies. Oh, and of course there are chocolate chips because, hello, these are still cookies.
Make’m for breakfast to grab on the way to work (that’s me) or as a healthy snack or dessert for your family – these are sure to fly off your counter fast.
Okay, enough with the commentary – here is how you make them!
Mix your dry ingredients together (whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt)
Get out your peeler and peel a carrot..
Mix all your wet ingredients together plus the veggies.
Add in those chocolate chips (and then eat a few out of the bag…)
Be generous with your dollops.
Too.Many.Pictures. I really suck at narrowing down my pictures… I love (almost) all of them…. Here are the ones that made the cut!
I hope you (and your family) enjoys these!! Let me know how yours turn out!
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ Teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 very ripe, mashed banana
- ½ Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ - ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (depends on how chocolate-y you want them)
- ⅓ cup carrot (use peeler to peel strips of carrot and then roughly chop)
- ⅓ cup spinach (roughly chopped)
- 2-3 Tablespoons of zucchini (just peel off the green, outer layer of the zucchini with peeler and then roughly chop)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- In separate medium bowl, combine mashed banana, beaten egg, applesauce, vanilla, peanut butter and brown sugar; Mix well.
- Add spinach, carrots and zucchini to wet ingredients and fold together.
- Combine both bowls and then add chocolate chips. Mix.
- Take cookie sheet and lightly spray with non-stick.
- Take generous Tablespoons of dough and place on cookie sheet.
- (Note: cookies will not raise much or spread out)
- Cook at 375 for approx. 8-10 minutes or until the bottoms start to brown.
- Place on cooling rack.