A traditional Chimichurri Sauce that has all of the classic flavors – parsley, garlic, oregano, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. You can easily whip this up in 10 minutes and it is the perfect topping for steak, poultry, salmon, or vegetables!
The Best Chimichurri Sauce
There is simply nothing better than a perfectly grilled marinated flank steak and if you are looking to level up that steak with a delicious sauce we highly recommend this homemade chimichurri sauce. We love making this every summer with all of the fresh herbs that we have growing in the garden. Plus, you can easily freeze this sauce so it is perfect to make in batches for enjoying all year long! We also love using it as a dressing in this Grilled Flank Steak Salad!
Many people say that chimichurri sauce is similar to pesto, but chimichurri sauce uses parsley and red wine vinegar as the base.
What You Will Need
- fresh herbs: cilantro, parsley, & basil – a perfect blend of fresh herbs that bring the classic parsley flavor with a slight cilantro and basil spin.
- olive oil – this sauce traditionally has an oil base that provides the moisture.
- garlic cloves – everything is better with a little garlic and you can adjust to more or less depending on your taste.
- dried oregano leaves – used for those great earthy tones.
- shallot – brings a very mild flavor to this sauce.
- lemon juice – just a little to help bring all the flavors to life.
- red wine vinegar – traditional ingredient for a chimichurri sauce and gives the sauce a slightly tangy flavor.
- kosher salt & pepper – a must for every homemade sauce.
- optional: red pepper flakes – just depends on how spicy you like things!
What Is Chimichurri Sauce
It is a simple sauce that is not cooked, it is simply blended together in a food processor. Usually, it is used as a table condiment for topping grilled meat. It is typically made with lots of fresh parsley, garlic, oregano, red wine vinegar, and olive oil.
Best Way To Serve Chimichurri Sauce
Traditionally this sauce is served over grilled meats, especially steak (Learn how to grill the perfect steak HERE!). We always serve this with a perfectly grilled flank steak! Other great options would be some grilled chicken thighs, grilled salmon fillets, or simply with a variety of grilled vegetables or potatoes.
This chimichurri sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you prefer to freeze it, you can either keep it all together in an airtight container for up to a month. Another great option is to freeze it in an ice cube tray so that you can thaw small amounts at a time when you need it. When you are ready to use it you can easily thaw it in the fridge.
How To Make Chimichurri Sauce
You can begin by gathering your ingredients.
Place all of those ingredients in a food processor.
Blend on high until smooth.
Enjoy or save for later.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Homemade Sauce Recipes You Might Like
Green Enchilada Sauce
Salmon Dill Sauce
Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Approx. 1 cup
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: American
Chimichurri Sauce – a flavorful and delicious homemade chimichurri sauce recipe that is perfect with steak! So good!
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/8 cup fresh basil
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves*
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- (optional) 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add ingredients to a food processor.
- Pulse several times until the consistency is smooth.
- Taste and adjust any seasonings to your liking – add additional olive oil for a thinner consistency.
- Use on your favorite recipe – we love it on this Grilled Flank Steak!
- *Garlic Cloves: if you are more sensitive to spice feel free to start with just 1 garlic clove! You can always add another one.
Keywords: chimichurri, chimichurri sauce
Leave a Rating & Comment