Whole30 Shepherd’s Pie – perfect cold weather comfort food. This simple shepard’s pie recipe is made with simple, real ingredients.
An Easy Whole30 Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
When the months turn cold here in Minnesota we love to cozy up with a nice, warm bowl of comfort food and this easy shepherd’s pie recipe is perfect for all those cold winter nights! It is made with real, simple ingredients and the whole family is going to love it. We love making it for Sunday supper and then enjoy the leftovers for lunch all week long!
What You Will Need
- ghee (or olive oil) – just a little to get things cooking in the pan.
- garlic & red onions – these start the flavor party with the ground beef.
- ground beef – just a pound and personally, we love ground beef from Country Natural Beef.
- kosher salt & ground black pepper – always needed when seasoning meat!
- cassava flour – just a little added to help thicken things up.
- chicken broth – use your favorite broth. We highly recommend chicken broth over beef broth for this dish!
- green bell pepper, green peas, a medium carrot, a stalk of celery, & mushrooms – the vegetables that we used but you could any combination of vegetables you have on hand.
- diced tomatoes, tomato paste, & ketchup – the delicious tomato base for the dish.
- lemon juice – a bit of acidity to help bring out all the great flavors!
- dijon mustard – just a bit for some added flavor depth.
- worcestershire sauce – omit for if you want the dish to be paleo/Whole30/gluten-free.
- soy sauce – or sub for coconut aminos if you want it to be Whole30.
- paprika, chili powder, dried parsley, thyme & dried oregano – a wonderful combo of spices that really bring a lot of flavor!
- potatoes – this is the topping for this amazing dish and we love Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes or Stove Top Mashed Potatoes
What Vegetables Can I Use In Shepherd’s Pie
For this recipe we used green bell pepper, green peas, mushrooms, carrots, and celery, but you could easily switch any of those out for other vegetables that you have on hand. Personally, we love using fresh veggies but you could also substitute these with a big bag of frozen vegetables too!
What Should I Serve With Shepherd’s Pie
We generally serve shepherd’s pie with a vegetable and our favorites is Simple Steamed Green Beans!
How Long Can I Keep A Cooked Shepherd’s Pie In The Fridge
You can store shepherd’s pie in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-5 days.
How To Make Easy Shepherd’s Pie
Step one – cut up all your vegetables.
Step two – sauté the garlic & red onion and then add the ground beef to brown.
Step three – add the rest of your ingredients, except the potatoes.
Step four – stir to combine.
Step five – spread your cooked potatoes on top.
Step six – bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Step seven – Enjoy!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Comforting Irish Beef Stew
Dutch Oven Pot Roast
Gluten-Free Dumplings & Meatballs
Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Easy Shepherd’s Pie
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner/Entree
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Easy Shepherd’s Pie – perfect cold weather comfort food. This simple shepherd’s pie recipe is made with simple, real ingredients.
- 1–2 tablespoons ghee (or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onions, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 batch Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes or Stove Top Mashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring cast iron skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add ghee and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add garlic and let cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, moving around constantly.
- Add onion and look cook until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add ground beef. Move around the pan until cooked through. Drain any excess grease, but leave a tablespoon or two in the pan.
- Add cassava flour and toss to coat the ground beef.
- Add in broth and stir to combine.
- Add in green pepper, carrot, celery, mushrooms (if using), diced tomatoes, tomato paste, ketchup, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, coconut aminos, paprika, chili powder, dried parsley, oregano and thyme. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired (add additional salt if needed).
- Pour mashed potatoes on top and spread out evenly.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, for 20- 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Broth: you can also use beef broth, but after testing we found the chicken broth has better flavor.
Keywords: easy shepherds pie
Holy moly, this is GOOD! I had waayyy too many mashed potatoes leftover from Thanksgiving and thought.. “Shepard’s pie! That’ll use up a bunch”. I’m so glad I did. This is another recipe you’ve hit out of the park. If I have an idea for a meal, I head straight to your website. You are THAT consistently great. This is easy, has loads of flavor, and is very easy to modify with whatever bits you have on hand at the time. I made some modifications since I wasn’t looking for whole30 and wanted to use up spare ingredients.. and it’s still soooo good. Great work as always, Erin 🙂
Aw thank you so much, Samantha! This absolutely makes my day to hear!!
I just love this shepherds pie!!!
Made it tonight, looks and tastes fantastic. Thank you!!
Glad you enjoyed it!!!