This quick & easy Grilled Yellow Squash recipe makes a tasty summer side dish! One of our favorite ways to cook up all those yellow summer squash that are bursting out of the garden in the late summer!
Easy Grilled Yellow Squash
Have you ever grilled summer squash before!? You are going to want to now! We are a big fan of this perfect side dish for any grilled meal and even better if you are growing some squash in your garden. Made with only 4 real, simple ingredients and it will be ready to eat in about 5 minutes! It is one of our favorite side dishes to toss on the grill with some grilled chicken thighs, pork chops, or steaks. Plus, you can mix it with some grilled zucchini for a nice color variation.
What You Will Need
- large yellow squash – we typically have lots of these growing right in the garden or we pick some up from our local farmer’s market or grocery store.
- olive oil or avocado oil – rub it down with some olive oil to prevent sticking and help with roasting.
- kosher salt & pepper – a simple seasoning that is perfect on any grilled veggies.
- seasoning options – we kept it simple in this recipe card with salt & pepper, but you could also toss on some garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, fresh herbs, lemon juice/zest, or even red pepper flakes or chili powder for a little bit of a kick.
How To Grill Yellow Squash
To start making this easy summer squash recipe, the first thing you will want to do is slice about an inch off the top of the squash.
And about 1/2 an inch off the bottom.
Then use a sharp knife or mandolin to cut each squash, lengthwise, into 1/2 inch planks.
How Do You Cut Squash For Grilling
We like using a sharp, chef’s knife or a mandolin to cut yellow squash, lengthwise, into 1/2 inch slabs. Cutting this way results in a nice piece that can lay across the grill grates and doesn’t fall through very easily, plus they are big enough to flip with a pair of tongs. You also have the option of cooking them on a grill pan or grill basket, if you want.
Next, brush the squash planks down with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
Place the seasoned squash slabs directly on the hot grates sprayed with cooking spray to cook for about 2 minutes on each side on medium high heat.
Carefully use tongs to flip the squash about halfway through the cooking process. The squash cooks super fast so keep a close eye on it.
Quickly remove this perfectly grilled squash before it gets too mushy and serve immediately!
How To Serve Grilled Yellow Squash
We love to toss this easy vegetable side dish on the grill when we are grilling some burgers, steaks, or pork chops! Basically, when we are cooking anything on the grill. One of the best ways to make a healthy dinner and it’s so nice to cook an easy side dish with very little cleanup all summer!
More Grilled Vegetables
Learning how to easily grill yellow squash is just one option for a perfect summer side dish. There are so many different vegetables that can also be cooked on the grill! A few of our favorites are grilled zucchini, grilled bell pepper, corn on the cob, grilled asparagus, and red onion!
- Do I need to peel the skin of yellow squash? Nope! You do not need to peel outside of the squash, it is completely edible. Simply slice and toss them on the grill – super easy!
- How long to grill squash on the gas grill – we only cooked ours for about 2 minutes on each side, basically long enough for a good char and grill marks. If the grill is hot, it will cook super fast. The cook time would be the same for a charcoal grill.
- Storage – you can store these grilled squash planks but we highly recommend eating them right away. They can get a little mushy in the reheating process after being kept in the fridge.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Easy Grilled Broccoli
Grilled Potato Wedges
Easy Grilled Avocado
Grilled Yellow Squash
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2–4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Grilled Yellow Squash – an easy step-by-step tutorial on how to make grilled yellow squash! A delicious and easy side dish!
- 1–2 yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- Preheat grill heat to 450 degrees F.
- Cut the ends off the squash and slice it lengthwise in 1/2 inch slices.
- Place on large plate or baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and use hands to massage it in.
- Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill on direct, medium-high heat for approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from grill with tongs and serve immediately.
- Aim for under-cooking: It is recommended to err on the side of under-cooking the squash as opposed to over-cooking! No one likes mushy squash!
- Storage: place leftovers in an airtight container and store in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Keywords: grilled yellow squash, how to grill yellow squash
Leave a Rating & Comment