This quick & easy Grilled Yellow Squash recipe makes a tasty summer side dish! The perfect way to cook up all those yellow summer squash that are bursting out of the gardens!
Grilled Yellow Squash
Have you ever grilled summer squash before!? You are going to want to now! This is a perfect side dish for any grilled meal and even better if you are growing some squash in your garden. Made with only 4 simple, real ingredients and it will be ready to eat in about 5 minutes! It is one of our favorite side dishes to toss on the grill with some grilled chicken thighs, pork chops, or steaks. Plus, you can mix it with some zucchini for a nice color variation.
What You Will Need
- yellow squash – we typically have lots of these growing right in the garden or we pick some up for our local farmer’s market or grocery store.
- olive oil – rub it down with some olive oil to prevent sticking and help with roasting.
- kosher salt & pepper – a simple seasoning that is perfect on any grilled veggies.
- seasoning options – we kept it simple with salt & pepper, but you could also toss on some garlic powder, basil, oregano, fresh herbs, lemon juice/zest, or even red pepper flakes.
How Do You Cut Squash For Grilling
We like using a sharp, chef’s knife or a mandolin to cut yellow squash length-wise into 1/2 inch slabs. Cutting this way results in a nice piece that can lay across the grill grates and doesn’t fall through very easily, plus they are big enough to flip with a pair of tongs. You also always have the option of cooking them on a grill pan, if you want.
How to Store Grilled Yellow Squash
If you have leftovers, you can simply store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days!
How To Grill Yellow Squash
First, you can begin by slicing the top and bottom off of the yellow squash. Then use a sharp knife or mandolin to cut them into 1/2 inch planks.
Next, rub the squash planks down with olive oil, sprinkle on salt & pepper, and then place them on a clean, preheated grill to cook for 2 minutes on each side or until tender.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Grilled Yellow Squash – an easy step-by-step tutorial on how to make grilled yellow squash! A delicious and easy side dish!!
- 1–2 yellow squash
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- Heat grill to 450 degrees F.
- Cut off ends of squash and slice it lengthwise in 1/2 inch slices.
- Place on large plate or baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Use hands to massage olive oil over every piece of squash.
- Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill on direct heat (directly over flame) for approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from grill with tongs and serve immediately.
- Aim for under-cooking: It is recommended to err on the side of under-cooking the squash as opposed to over-cooking! No one likes mushy squash!
- Storage: To store, place in airtight container and store in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Keywords: grilled yellow squash, how to grill yellow squash