This perfectly grilled Shrimp Burger is piled high on a bun of choice with fresh red onions, avocado, corn kernels, and smothered in a refreshing cilantro lime crema! Great for a fresh and easy weeknight dinner all summer long!
The Best Grilled Shrimp Burger
We love having grilled burgers on repeat all summer long, but sometimes you need to change it up a bit. Enter, the best grilled shrimp burger you have ever tasted! They are such a nice change of pace from the traditional beef burger or turkey burger. It only takes a few minutes to cook them on the grill and you are going to love the nice, warm char flavor from the burgers topped with a cool, refreshing cilantro lime crema!
What You Will Need
- raw shrimp – make sure they are completely thawed, shelled, and have the tails removed.
- egg – used to help bind the burgers together so that they don’t fall apart.
- breadcrumbs – also used to hold the burgers together. Option to use gluten-free breadcrumbs if you want!
- mayonnaise & dijon mustard – both provide a little flavor and creaminess to this recipe.
- celery & green onion – perfect combo for some crunch and green!
- old bay seasoning, kosher salt, & pepper – a simple seasoning mixture that pairs well with the taste of the shrimp.
- lemon juice – a splash of acidity helps to bring out all of the great flavors.
- cilantro lime crema – our homemade crema is included in the recipe card below and is the perfect sauce for these burgers!
- hamburger bun of choice – we love a good brioche bun, but you could also use whole wheat or gluten-free.
- toppings: lettuce, red onion, fresh cilantro, avocado, & corn kernels
What Are Good Toppings To Serve With Shrimp Burgers
We served these burgers with fresh lettuce leaves, slices of red onion & avocado, fresh cilantro and some corn kernels. Other great topping options include pickles or fresh tomatoes.
Grilled Shrimp Burger Side Dishes
Since this is a great summer meal that is already being cooked on the grill we love to also make the side dishes on the grill. Our favorites are grilled sweet corn on the cob, grilled potatoes, and grilled sweet potatoes. All of these are wonderful options for a quick and healthy dinner!
Can I Freeze These Shrimp Burgers
Absolutely! You can easily place a piece of parchment paper in between the patties and store them in a freezer safe container for about 3 months.
How To Store Leftover Shrimp Burgers
Any leftover grilled shrimp burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just make sure you store the toppings and crema separate from the burger.
How To Make Shrimp Burgers
Place half of the shrimp and the rest of the burger ingredients in a food processor or blender, pulse until you have a paste, add the rest of the shrimp and pulse 1 or 2 more times, resulting in some large chunks of shrimp.
Now you can form your shrimp mixture into 3 patties, place them on a parchment-lined pan, put a thumb-sized indent in the middle of each patty, and freeze them for about 20-30 minutes.
While the burgers are chilling in the freezer you can whip up the cilantro lime crema.
When the burgers are ready you can place them on preheated grill grates and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
Now it is time to build that burger with all the toppings!
Place the top bun on and enjoy!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Shrimp Burger – a delicious shrimp burger recipe with cilantro lime crema, lettuce, red onion, avocado and corn! An easy summer meal!
- 1 lb raw shrimp, shelled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion, diced
- 1 1/4 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Cilantro Lime Crema:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- pinch of salt and pepper
Other Toppings, etc.:
- bun of your choice
- butter lettuce
- raw red onion
- corn kernels
- fresh cilantro
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and ensure grill grates are very clean.
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine 1/2 of the shrimp, egg, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, celery, green onion, old bay seasoning, lemon juice, kosher salt, ground black pepper and breadcrumbs into a food processor. Pulse until the mixture forms a paste; don’t over-blend.
- Add in remaining shrimp and pulse once or twice so that there are large chunks of shrimp in the paste.
- Use spatula to pour out mixture onto plate. Divide mixture into 3 equal portions.
- Add a little oil to your hands and form the portions into 3 burger patties. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Press down in the middle of the burger with your thumb to create an indent. Place baking sheet in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine Cilantro Lime Crema ingredients in a small bowl; stir to combine and refrigerate until use.
- Remove burgers from freezer. Spray clean grill grates with olive oil or your choice of non-stick. Place burgers over direct heat directly on the grill grates. Cook 3-4 minutes per side or until fully cooked.
- Remove and let rest 5 minutes.
- Build Burgers: layer bottom bun, butter lettuce, cilantro lime crema, burger, onion, avocado and corn – add top bun and enjoy!
- Storage: store leftover, cooked burgers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Gluten-Free: to make this recipe gluten-free use gluten-free breadcrumbs and a gluten-free bun.
- Dairy-Free: to make this recipe dairy-free use dairy-free sour cream in the cilantro lime crema.
- Freezer: you can easily freeze the raw shrimp burger buns by placing a small piece of parchment between them and placing them in a freezer-safe container/bag. Use within 3 months.
Keywords: shrimp burger