This quick and easy Tuna Macaroni Salad recipe is perfect for meal-prep, a simple lunch, and busy weeknight dinners! Made with simple ingredients, like tender macaroni noodles, creamy mayo, canned tuna, fresh celery, frozen peas, and seasoned to perfection!
Simple Tuna Macaroni Salad
This macaroni tuna salad recipe is always on rotation in our house, one of our favorite recipes! I love to whip this up for an easy weekend lunch and make it a BIG batch so that we have enough for leftovers throughout the coming week. Tuna mac salad is one of those recipes that only gets better with a little time to hangout in the fridge. Just cover in plastic wrap and enjoy the next day. Delicious and the kids love it! It definitely isn’t Grandma’s tuna macaroni salad anymore, everyone is going to love this easy recipe. A great simple salad option for your next cookout, summer picnic, potluck, or family gatherings!
Looking for another easy salad recipe? Our Healthy Chicken Salad is another delicious one!
What You Will Need
- pasta noodles: you can really use any kind you prefer, even whole wheat pasta or gluten-free pasta options!
- canned tuna fish (in water): drain and flake apart – you can use tuna in oil if you prefer.
- real mayo: we have a homemade mayonnaise on the site, but you can also pick-up a store-bought option at the local grocery store.
- celery + onion + green peas: these add a nice crunch and pop of flavor to this simple pasta salad.
- seasonings: we have packed all the yummy seasonings in here – don’t forget to taste and adjust since everyone has different preferences.
How To Make Tuna Macaroni Salad
To start making this tuna pasta salad recipe, gather all of the ingredients.
Then bring a large pot to a rolling boil on medium high heat, add the noodles, and cook macaroni to al dente according to the package directions.
Carefully drain the cooked macaroni noodles and rinse with cold water to cool to room temperature.
Add the tender pasta to a large bowl and add the rest of the tuna macaroni salad ingredients to that bowl.
Mix with a large spoon to fully combine.
Taste and make any taste adjustments that you want according to your personal preference.
What To Serve Tuna Pasta Salad With
This healthy tuna macaroni salad can be enjoyed by itself or with some easy side dish recipes! If you are serving it alone, you could add some fresh herbs (like fresh parsley), chopped red onion, or a sprinkling of paprika for garnish. And if you are looking for the perfect side dish to make it a complete meal, we love serving it with a fresh side salad, fresh vegetables and dip, grilled potato wedges, or steamed broccoli!
- Optional ingredients to add: sliced green onions and diced hard-boiled eggs would also be great added to the mix.
- Tuna: You can use your preferred tuna but if you need a recommendation, I like this tuna.
- Whole30/Paleo: check the mayo ingredients – we love our homemade version or this store-bought option!
- What should I do if the tuna macaroni salad is dry: If it’s a bit dry after you mix all the ingredients together, simply add in some more mayo until it meets your liking.
- How long will tuna macaroni salad last in the fridge: You can store cold tuna macaroni salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipe – this is the best tuna macaroni salad recipe to serve for a weekend cookout, meal-prep, or an easy weeknight dinner! Always good and kid-friendly!
- 1/2 box macaroni pasta (this gluten-free elbow pasta works great too!)
- 5oz can of tuna (in water), drained
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup yellow or white onion, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- Cook pasta, al dente, according to package instructions.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to both stop the cooking process and to cool off the macaroni.
- Place cool pasta in a large mixing bowl.
- Open can of tuna and drain. Using a fork, flake into the the same bowl as the pasta, breaking up any big chunks.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Taste and add additional seasoning, as desired, or more mayo if it seems too dry.
- Optional ingredients: sliced green onions and diced hard-boiled egg make great additions to this recipe!
- Gluten-Free: I really like this gluten-free macaroni! Works perfectly in this recipe!
- Mayo: I love using my homemade mayo for this recipe, but use whatever works best for you!
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 152
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 345.6 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.8 g
- Protein: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 29 mg
Keywords: tuna macaroni salad
I just made this and wow so much flavour and so very easy to whip up. Thanks Erin
Hi Jean! I am so glad you hear you enjoyed it!! A family favorite for sure! Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback – I really appreciate it!