Make Ahead Apple Chicken Salad – a sweet and delicious apple salad that is perfect for meal prep!
A sweet and delicious make-ahead meal that you guys are going to love!
Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe
I am so excited to share this recipe with you guys! If you are needing a last minute salad to bring to your cookout – this is a good one. Comes together so easily, its delicious and its always nice to have a Whole30 option!
But, beyond being an awesome addition to any cookout, this is also an amazing make-ahead meal. I either make it on a Friday so our family has it to graze on over the weekend OR I make it on Sunday so we can eat it for lunches throughout the week. It has become a new household favorite and I am excited for you guys to try it!
A few notes about the recipe:
Whole30 Compliant Cranberries
First, it calls for dried cranberries. It is hard to find Whole30 compliant cranberries, but I found some some compliant ones at the store made by Patience Fruit and Co – if you can’t find any of these, I would simply sub raisins (just read your ingredients).
The Easiest Way to Shred Chicken
Second, the recipe calls for shredded chicken. The easiest way to do this is to simply place the boneless chicken breasts in boiling water and cook for 10-15 minutes (or until cooked thoroughly). Remove from the water and let drain. After the chicken has cooled slightly, shred. Even if you don’t use it for this particular recipe, it is a really easy way to prep chicken to store to use for salads, etc. throughout the week.
Other recipes you might like:
The perfect meal-prep salad for weekday lunches or to bring to your next summer cookout!
- 3 large boneless chicken breasts cooked and shredded (I recommend boiling the chicken breasts in water for 10–15 minutes (or until fully cooked), let cool slightly and then shred when still warm)
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 large apple, cubed
- 1 cup mayo (make sure Whole30 compliant)
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 cup cranberries (if you can’t find Whole30 compliant cranberries, you can sub raisins – just read your labels)
- 3 Tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2–3 Tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 Teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Taste and add any additional orange juice concentrate (1 Tablespoon at a time) or salt or pepper.
- Serve with butter lettuce, if desired, or eat as is.
Keywords: salad, apple salad, chicken salad, whole30, paleo
Thank you so much for reading & supporting The Wooden Skillet! This post contains affiliate links for products I actually use in my own home and personally recommend. Should you make a purchase using one of these links, The Wooden Skillet will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. Thank you!