Healthy Double-Chocolate Zucchini Brownies – everything you want a brownie to be and made with (mostly) healthy ingredients!
I am crazy excited to finally be sharing this post with you guys! It was supposed to go up last weekend, but after looking at my photos, I just had to re-shoot it. The recipe is just way too good and those photos just didn’t do it justice – this is much better (the recipe is perfect, by the way, as I have now made about a million batches). These brownies, you guys, just ridiculous. And you can bet your bottom dollar your kiddos will love them just as much as you do (they do not need to know they are made with whole wheat flour and 2 cups of zucchini… shhhhhh).
The goal here was to find the most decadent, ooey, gooey, dense brownie recipe(s) I could find and switch out as many ingredients as I could with healthier versions and then add in some zucchini. This was kind of a gamble … I easily could have ended up with some sort of brownish, inedible object. Instead, I had amazingly chocolate-ey brownies that apparently had large amounts of zucchini in them, although you really can’t taste it.
Hitting some of the highlights – there is whole wheat flour, ground flax, coconut sugar, coconut oil and very little butter. I actually did one version without butter, substituting it with applesauce. It worked really well, it just resulted in the brownies being a little bit more cake-like and less dense. But still really good!
And yes, yes yes…. the kiddos gobbled these up like no other. They did not suspect that there were vegetables inside, just like when they inhaled my Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Carrot, Spinach and Zucchini! Yessssss. Mission accomplished.
Don’t worry though guys, they are still brownies at their core. There is enough cocoa powder and chocolate chip cookies in there that you will not be left wanting more. Promise.
I am telling you – you need gotta try these this weekend. Make a batch, drink a glass of milk with a fresh, warm gooey brownie and then let me know how they turn out!!!
You guys rock 🙂
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ⅛ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ Teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon ground coffee
- 1½ - 2 cups grated zucchini (squeeze out excess water)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Extra chocolate chips and sea salt for garnish
- In medium mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, flax, baking soda, salt and coffee).
- If possible, sift your flour and cocoa powder in the bowl.
- Mix thoroughly.
- In stand mixer, beat eggs for about 30 seconds.
- Melt butter and coconut oil.
- Add to eggs along with vanilla and coconut sugar.
- Beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Then take dry ingredients and, while stand mixer is on low, slowly add dry ingredients until fully mixed in.
- Gently fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Place in 9x9 pan (rub pan with some crisco or non-stick).
- Add additional chocolate chips on top or additional zucchini.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little sea salt before serving.