Our creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup is a delicious homemade soup recipe that is definitely going to wake-up your taste buds! Made with tender chicken, fresh vegetables, and that tangy buffalo wing sauce. A warm bowl of comfort food that is perfect for serving up on game day Sunday or for an easy weeknight dinner!
Easy Buffalo Chicken Soup
Unless you are new around here, you know that we absolutely love all the buffalo chicken recipes (this buffalo chicken dip is SO GOOD)! Buffalo sauce might just be the best thing ever made. Those wonderful tangy, bold flavors that bring a bit of heat always hits the spot. Pair it with some fresh green onions, blue cheese crumbles and maybe even a drizzle of ranch dressing and we are there for it! This is the best buffalo chicken soup recipe that has quickly become a favorite for our whole family.
Looking for more homemade soup recipes? Checkout our round-up of 41+ Best Soup Recipes! There is definitely something for everyone!
What You Will Need
- butter – a little bit in the stock pot to sauté all the fresh veggies.
- yellow onion & fresh garlic – great flavor starters that are always a must for homemade soup!
- jalapeño, celery, carrots, & potato – traditional soup vegetables, plus one that brings a little heat.
- all-purpose flour – a thickening agent for this creamy soup, option to sub with 1-to-1 gluten-free flour.
- chicken broth – pick-up some store-bought chicken broth at your local grocery store or bring more flavor with homemade chicken broth!
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts – this is what we chose to use but boneless chicken thighs would work great too.
- Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce – we used this one, but feel free to sub with a homemade buffalo sauce or a different store-bought buffalo sauce.
- cream cheese – perfect for adding that amazing creamy texture!
- kosher salt & ground black pepper – simple seasonings that are always included.
- topping options: green onions, crumbled bleu cheese, sour cream, & cheddar cheese.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Soup
The first steps to making this healthy buffalo chicken soup recipe are to bring a large dutch oven to a medium heat, add the butter to melt, and then toss in the garlic and onion.
Once the onion has softened, add all the fresh vegetables to the pot and let them cook for about 4-5 minutes. Next, add the last 2 tablespoons butter to melt and coat the veggies. Then add in the flour and mix to coat everything, creating a little bit of a paste.
Now gradually pour in the chicken broth while continuing to mix the soup until it is all added. For best results, you only want to add about a 1/4 cup of broth at a time to help keep a thicker texture to your soup. Then add the whole chicken breasts, cover the pot, and let it simmer on a medium-low heat for 12-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Carefully remove the chicken breasts from the pot and place them on a cutting board to shred with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot, along with the wing sauce.
Then add the room temperature cream cheese to the pot and mix for it to fully melt into the soup. Add in the salt and pepper, mix, and taste to see if any flavors need to be adjusted to your desired taste.
Best Ways To Serve Buffalo Chicken Soup
This cozy bowl of soup is perfect with some blue cheese crumbles and sliced green onions on top! You could also add a drizzle of ranch dressing because who doesn’t love that buffalo ranch combination. If you are looking for a side dish option, we highly recommend some crusty bread or grilled bread. Nothing better than dunking bread in a bowl of delicious soup!
Love to try new soup recipes – try our French Onion Soup (so flavorful), Tuscan White Bean Soup, Coconut Curry Soup, Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (with homemade noodles), this easy and delicious Taco Soup or this Beef and Barley Soup!
- What gives homemade chicken soup more flavor: don’t skimp on the seasonings for the best flavor! Add the amount suggested in the recipe card, but adjust after tasting because everyone is different. And if you have the time, use homemade chicken broth – it just packs so much flavor!
- Is this soup spicy: we tried to keep the heat fairly mild, but you have the option of adding more heat – go for it! Add as much Frank’s hot sauce as you want!
- Speed it up: if you are looking to make this soup even faster, you could use shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken instead of cooking chicken breasts in the soup. It wouldn’t need to simmer for very long if you use already cooked chicken.
- Can I freeze this soup: you can freeze the soup, but since it contains quite a bit of cream cheese the texture might change a bit in the process of thawing and reheating.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Buffalo Chicken Soup – a delicious homemade buffalo chicken soup recipe that is so easy to make! Perfect for game day or a weeknight dinner!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño, minced (remove membrane and seeds)
- 1 1/2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled, sliced and quartered
- 1 large russet potato, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (sub 1-to-1 gluten-free flour)
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup Frank’s RedHot Wing Sauce*
- 4–8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Toppings: crumbled blue cheese, sliced green onion
- Bring a dutch oven or large pot to medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter and let melt; swirl to coat the pan. Add onion and garlic. Move around pan until garlic becomes fragrant and onion softens, approx. 2 minutes.
- Add jalapeño, celery, carrots and potatoes. Move around pan 4-5 minutes. Add the last 2 tablespoons of butter and let melt. Stir to coat the veggies. Add the flour and stir to coat the veggies again.
- Slowly add in the chicken broth, approx. 1/4 cup at a time, stirring as you go. Bring to a simmer and then add chicken. Cover and let simmer 12-15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken from pot, shred, return to pot along with the Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper. Taste and add more, as-desired.
- Serve with lots of sliced green onions and blue cheese crumbles (if desired).
- Frank’s RedHot Wing Sauce: if you want to use the original Frank’s Red Hot, start with 1/4 cup and add more as-desired.
- Chicken Thighs: feel free to sub in 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of the chicken breasts.
- Dairy-Free: you can sub in dairy-free butter and cream cheese to make this dairy-free (and omit the blue cheese).
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 207
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 879.5 mg
- Fat: 10.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.3 g
- Protein: 13.6 g
- Cholesterol: 59.5 mg
Keywords: buffalo chicken soup