Homemade Buffalo Sauce – a cleaner version of your favorite wing sauce! (Whole30 + Paleo + Gluten-Free)
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
I am such a sucker for a good recipe that involves buffalo sauce! Seriously. It always tastes good to me!
For those of you who eat a primarily Whole30/Paleo diet, making buffalo chicken wings is something I always make when I feel like I am getting sick of the same old recipes (that and my favorite curry recipe – which isn’t spicy). I don’t know, it just seems to wake up my taste buds. Or maybe it is because this recipe tastes just like “regular” buffalo sauce so I don’t feel like I am eating anything “healthy.” I don’t know, but if you ever get to a place where you just don’t know what to make and you feel like you are going to explode if you eat one more scrambled egg – make this sauce and put it on some chicken 🙂
Don’t forget I have this round-up of 18+ Whole30/Paleo Condiments and Sauce!
What is Buffalo Sauce Made Of
Well, this buffalo sauce is a “cleaned-up” version of your typical, store-bought variety. Here are the ingredients:
- Frank’s Red Hot (Ingredients: aged cayenne peppers, distilled vinegar, water, salt and garlic powder)
- Ghee (I make my own or purchase it from Aldi or Thrive Market)
- ground black pepper
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- Optional: cayenne pepper
Is this Homemade Buffalo Sauce Spicy
It definitely has some heat to it, but nothing more than putting Frank’s Red Hot on your food. As you will read in the Recipe Notes, you can add additional cayenne pepper, as desired, to increase the spice level. Without adding any it is somewhere between mild/medium.
Other Healthy Homemade Sauces
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- Dairy-Free Caesar Dressing
- Homemade BBQ Sauce (+ Oven Baked Ribs)
- Green Goddess Dressing
Homemade Buffalo Sauce is delicious, easy and perfectly spicy! Perfect for wings, meatballs and dips! Whole30 + Paleo!
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1/2 cup Franks Red Hot
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Optional: 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (*see notes)
- Add ghee to small saucepan and allow to melt on low. Don’t allow it to get too hot.
- Remove from heat and add Frank’s Red Hot and stir constantly until fully combined.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- If sauce starts to separate, simply stir again to recombine.
- Sauce will thicken as it cools.
Keywords: homemade buffalo sauce, how to make buffalo sauce