Butter and Sage Roasted Turkey – a savory and delicious Thanksgiving turkey recipe that is easy to make and so delicious!
Easy Butter + Sage Roasted Turkey
Don’t be intimidated with how to cook your Thanksgiving turkey!!
I know that cooking THE Thanksgiving turkey can be stressful – but it doesn’t have to be! This is one of my favorite ways to cook our Thanksgiving turkey – partly because I just love the flavor of sage and butter (or ghee) together! To me that taste just kind of encapsulates Thanksgiving (probably because I use a lot of sage in my favorite stuffing recipe!).
But the ingredients are simple and you end up with some incredibly flavorful Turkey that isn’t dry at all!
If you are looking for other ideas for roasting your turkey, definitely check to my tutorial on How to Deep Fry a Turkey and this recipe for Herb-Citrus Roasted Thanksgiving Turkey!! Both are amazing!
And since we are thinking about cooking turkeys now – might be a good time to brush up on our turkey safety! Check out the USDA’s “Let’s Talk Turkey” can be found here! Really great tips on keeping your turkey safe!
Also, here are a few kitchen gadgets that might make your day go a little smoother:
Other Recipes You Might Like
- How to Deep Fry a Turkey
- Smoked Turkey
- Smoked Turkey Breast
- Turkey Tenderloin
- Grilled Turkey
- Roasted Turkey Breast
Butter and Sage Roasted Turkey – a savory and delicious Thanksgiving turkey recipe that is easy to make and Whole30-friendly!
- 1 15lb turkey (but you can adapt the recipe for any size)
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter (or ghee), softened
- 2 Tablespoons dried ground sage
- 2 heads of garlic, cut off bottom and peel of loose skin.
- 1 large yellow onions, cut into large chucks
- 2–3 sprigs fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Ensure turkey is fully thawed. Remove from package (ensure to remove any gravy packet from cavity) and place on a large plate.
- Pat dry with a clean paper towel and place on a roasting pan with a roasting rack.
- Combine 1 Tablespoon salt and 1 Tablespoon ground black pepper – combine and then rub on inside of turkey.
- Stuff with garlic, fresh sage and onion.
- Take 1/2 stick butter (or ghee) and add 1 Tablespoon sage -stir to combine.
- Rub some of the mixture under the skin (as far as you can go) and then the rest all over the outside of the turkey.
- Sprinkle entire turkey with salt and pepper.
- Wrap wings with foil so they don’t burn and then remove 45 minute before its done cooking.
- Add 1/2 cup water (or chicken broth/turkey broth) to the pan.
- Loosely tent with foil and place in oven, middle rack.
- Melt remaining stick of butter (or ghee) and add 1 Tablespoon sage.
- Use this mixture to baste the turkey ever 1/2 hour – you can also use the drippings after a while.
- Roast for 14-16 minutes per pound or until the internal temp is 165. Continue cooking for 15 minute increments until the internal temp reaches 165.
- Let rest 20 minutes and then carve and enjoy!
- Meat thermometer: I highly recommend getting a internal meat thermometer to help ensure the bird had reached 165 degree internal temp.
- Additional butter: You may need an additional 1/4 cup of butter if you want to go heavy on the basting, or you can use juices from the pan – personal preference!
- Gravy: don’t forget to use any leftover drippings to make some homemade turkey gravy!
- Leftovers: We love this Leftover Turkey + Wild Rice Soup!
Keywords: roasted turkey