This simple Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken is an easy and delicious weeknight dinner you can set and forget! With less than 10 simple ingredients you can have a juicy and tender cilantro lime chicken ready for dinner at the end of the day. Use it in a rice bowl, enchiladas, tacos, or toss on a salad!
Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken
For all those busy weeknights, you are going to want to add this to your weekly menu ASAP! Grilled cilantro lime chicken is a favorite recipe in our house during the warmer summer months. Serve with some homemade guacamole and we are a happy family! We knew we had to make this crockpot version for days when things get a little crazy and I just need to throw some dinner together or for making in the colder months when we want a taste of summer but can’t grill. I love how easy this is and I cannot wait for you guys to try it!
Looking for some more Mexican-inspired recipes? Try our Steak Fajitas – they are amazing!
What You Will Need
- boneless skinless chicken breasts – a lean meat that gets juicy and tender in the crockpot, perfect for shredding!
- lime juice & lime zest – lots of classic summer flavor that we absolutely love.
- kosher salt – a simple seasoning that is always a must when cooking any type of meat.
- olive oil – perfect base for this cilantro lime chicken marinade!
- fresh garlic cloves – adds so much great flavor just by tossing these smashed garlic cloves in the slow cooker with the chicken.
- chicken broth – only needed if you plan to cook this chicken on the low setting.
- fresh cilantro leaves – an essential ingredient for this recipe, add as much or as little as you like!
How To Make Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken
To start making this very easy chicken recipe, gather all of the ingredients listed in the recipe card.
Now grab a small bowl and mix together the lime juice, lime zest, olive oil and salt. Place the thawed chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot and pour the lime mixture over the top. Also, add in the chicken broth if cooking on low. Toss in the smashed garlic cloves and cook on the high setting for 3.5-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
How To Increase The Lime Flavor
So here are the things I have done to really increase the lime flavor, when desired:
- Lime juice to chicken broth ratio: I barely use any chicken broth because it will only dilute the lime juice. I really only add the chicken broth when cooking on LOW because I don’t want the chicken to dry out. Feel free to add additional lime juice in place of some of the chicken broth!
- Lime zest: adding some lime zest into the mix definitely increases the lime flavor – feel free to add more!
- Salt: I added a teaspoon of kosher salt to help emphasize the lime flavor. Feel free to add more if you want!
Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the slow cooker, and use two forks to shred the chicken on a cutting board.
How To Serve Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken
This easy cilantro lime chicken recipe is super versatile. There are several different ways you can serve it! Here are a few of the best ways:
- Rice bowl – serve this flavorful, shredded chicken on top of jasmine rice or cauliflower rice and top any way you want! And if you are looking for even more cilantro lime flavor, you can try our cilantro lime rice or cilantro lime cauliflower rice.
- Tacos – it would be a great option for tossing in some flour tortillas or corn tortillas with some fresh toppings.
- Enchiladas – perfect for filling some tortillas to make some super easy chicken enchiladas!
- Salad – another delicious option for shredded cilantro lime chicken would be to use it when making a salad – we love our ultimate southwest salad!
Any of these options can be served with a variety of fresh toppings. We recommend avocado, red onion, lime wedges, fresh cilantro, sour cream, and a big scoop of our homemade guacamole!
- Flavors: the lime, cilantro, and garlic flavors can all be adjusted to your liking!
- Meal prep: option to make it ahead of time (on Sunday) and have it for the week! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: you can place all of the cilantro lime chicken ingredients in a freezer-safe container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw and then place in the slow cooker to cook.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Approx. 4 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe – an easy and delicious weeknight dinner you can set and forget! Use it to make a rice bowl, enchiladas, tacos, etc.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice (approximately 3–4 limes)
- the zest of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2–3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (only use if cooking on LOW)
- 1/2 – 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Combine lime juice, salt, olive oil, and lime zest in small bowl; stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth to mixture only if cooking on LOW; if you are cooking on HIGH you do not need it.
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour lime juice mixture over chicken and add garlic.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3 1/2 – 4 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred with two forks and return to slow cooker. Add as much cilantro as you desire and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- Lime flavor: If you want the lime flavor to be more intense feel free to add additional lime zest or lime juice.
- Serving suggestions: cauliflower rice (Whole30 + Paleo), regular rice, tacos, salad or enchiladas.
- Storage: any chicken leftovers can go in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: crockpot cilantro lime chicken, cilantro lime chicken
Leave a Rating & Comment