Instant Pot Pork Shoulder – a delicious and simple Instant Pot pulled pork recipe; perfect for a crowd or weekend meal prep!! (Whole30 + Paleo + GF)
This Instant Pot Pork Shoulder repine is one of my favorite recipes to make for a crowd!
Instant Pot Pork Shoulder
We are such a fan of pork shoulder in our house! It is really one of our go-to’s when we are hosting any sort of family or group get-together! I love how easy it is to make, how good it smells and how versatile it is to serve. It is so easy to make guests happy when they can choose to eat it plain, or eat it with sauce, put in a little taco, burrito bowl or on some sort of bun (lettuce or otherwise). When you can make one thing that can make that many people happy – it is always a win! Did I mention it is perfect for meal-prep too!!! It’s a favorite for a reason!
Instant Pot Pork Shoulder Ingredients
- 1 batch of this homemade pork rub
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- approximately 1-2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- (1) 3-3.5 lb pork shoulder (with or without the bone)
- 1 cup beef broth
How Long Should You Cook Pork Shoulder in a Pressure Cooker
For a pork shoulder that is 3- 3..5lbs you need to cook it on HIGH in your pressure cooker for approx 90 minutes.
Is Pork Butt the Same as Pork Shoulder?
Yes! Another term often used is “Boston Butt.” Here is a nice diagram of the different pork cuts! So helpful!
Paleo Pork Rub
The homemade pork rub I use in this recipe is a blog favorite!! It has so many wonderful uses for pork or chicken, but it works so well in this Instant Pot Pulled Pork recipe! Cannot wait for you guys to try it!
Other recipes you might like:
- Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- Best Turkey Chili (IP + Slow Cooker)
- Short Rib Ragu (IP + Slow Cooker
- Place pork shoulder on a large plate or platter.
- Rub with liquid smoke, getting into all the little crevices.
- Then rub with yellow mustard.
- Finally, take the pork rub and rub all over, it will create almost a paste.*
- Place trivet inside Instant Pot and add beef broth. Ensure valve is set to “Seal.”
- Place pork shoulder in Instant Pot and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 90 minutes. Allow to naturally release 15 minutes and then manually release remaining pressure carefully.
- Remove from slow cooker and shred with two forks (discarding bone if it had one).
- Feel free to return shredded meat to Instant Pot to combine with the juices or to serve immediately.
- Once you have the applied the liquid smoke, mustard and pork rub you can place it in the slow cooker right away OR you can wrap it up (in plastic wrap or foil) and allow it to sit in the refrigerator overnight. This will help it be little more flavorful, but it is not necessary for the recipe to turn out! It still tastes amazing if you skip that step!
- The Instant Pot will need additional time to come to pressure.
- Always use your Instant Pot or pressure cooker according to the manufacturers instructions.
Keywords: Instant Pot Pork Shoulder, Instant Pot Pulled Pork