This Grilled Green Beans recipe is an easy way to turn fresh green beans into the perfect side dish. To get a complete meal on the dinner table, pair this green bean recipe with grilled chicken legs, pork chops, or steak.
The Best Grilled Green Beans
Follow along as we share how to use a few simple ingredients to turn all of your fresh green beans into a delicious side dish. And if you’ve ever wondered if you can grill green beans, the answer is yes! Just have some aluminum foil handy and you’re all set to go!
What You Will Need
- fresh green beans – We’re always looking for creative ways to cook up this crunchy and mild veggie during the summer months. We used string beans, but feel free peruse your grocery store for other varieties such as haricot vert or wax beans.
- olive oil – Just a bit to keep your beans from drying out.
- kosher salt & ground black pepper – The classics are all you need to amp up the natural flavor of your beans.
How Long To Grill Green Beans
Cooking time will vary depending on the bean variety and your preferred bean texture, but we’ve found that between 9-12 minutes is the perfect amount of time.
How To Grill Green Beans
Start by washing your green beans and place them in a large bowl.
Drizzle the green beans with olive oil and use your hands to massage the oil into the beans so that they’re all evenly coated.
Next, sprinkle kosher salt over the top and toss.
Take out a large piece of heavy-duty foil and create a tray by folding up the sides. A grill pan will also work in place of foil. Once your outdoor grill is preheated to 400°F, place the tray on the grill with the prepped green beans and cook them for 9-12 minutes. Be sure to toss occasionally to ensure they get cooked evenly on all sides.
To test the doneness of your beans, take a bite out of one at the 9 minute mark. If you want your beans a bit softer, continue cooking in two minute increments until they’re cooked to your liking.
Once your beans are done cooking, serve them immediately with some fresh lemon wedges. If you’re feeling fancy, serve them up with a bit of shaved parmesan cheese and/or toasted pine nuts on top. All are great ways to amp up the flavor.
- Serving Options: We love these green beans served with a bit of shaved or grated parmesan cheese, pine nuts, or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to amp up the flavor and interest. Scroll down to the recipe card for the printable recipe.
- Storage: These beans are best served immediately after grilling, but feel free to store any leftover green beans in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Made this great side dish and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Grilled Green Beans (how to grill green beans) – a simple, easy and delicious grilled green bean recipe that is the perfect summer side dish for any meal!
- 1 lb fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1–2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Foil Tray: Take a large piece of foil and create a tray out of it by folding up the sides (alternatively you can use a grill pan).
- Preheat: Place on grill and close cover. Then preheat the grill to 400/450 degrees F.
- Drizzle: Meanwhile, place green beans in medium bowl or on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Massage: Using your hands massage the oil all over ensuring the green beans are fully coated.
- Cook: Place green beans in foil tray and cook for 9-12 minutes (depending upon how firm/soft you want), tossing occasionally.
- Test: Check green beans and continue cooking in 2 minute increments, as desired, until it is done to your liking.
- Serve: Serve immediately.
- Storage: these are best immediately after grilling, but if you want to store place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Serving Options: feel free to add some shaved or grated parmesan cheese on top! Lemon wedges and pine nuts are also delish!
- Serving Size: 4 oz
- Calories: 33
- Sugar: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 158.4 mg
- Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: grilled green beans, how to grill green beans