Easy Shaved Brussel Sprouts – make as an easy (kid-friendly) side dish for any weeknight dinner OR make as fun addition to breakfast! It goes so, so well with eggs!
These shaved Brussel sprouts are the perfect side dish for your weeknight dinner OR a fun addition to any breakfast!!
If you haven’t jumped on the brussel sprout bandwagon ….what is stopping you?!? I know they get a bad wrap, but when cooked the right way brussel sprouts are sooo delicious. When I cook them this way my 4 and 8 year old kids ask for seconds – I swear. They absolutely love them and I know you guys will too!
What are the benefits of eating brussel sprouts?
Brussel sprouts are a great source of:
- Hight in nutrients (vitamin K, C and A as well as Folate and Manganese)
- Rich in Antioxidants
- May help combat cancer
- High in Fiber
- Inflammation reducing (Source)
How to Make Shaved Brussel Sprouts (step by step)
- Cut off the very end/stem
- Peel off the outer 2-3 layers (or thoroughly wash outer leaves).
- Thinly slice – you can do this by hand or with a mandolin. You can also pulse them in a food processor!
- Toss in a cast iron skillet with olive oil (or a little left over bacon grease) and move around on medium-high heat until they start to char just slightly.
Once you thinly slice the Brussel sprouts, they are ready to be sautéed! Cook in olive oil, ghee, salt and pepper and cook until they are just slightly charred!
Serve as a plain side dish for dinner or as part of a yummy breakfast! No matter what they will be a hit!
Other recipes you might like:
Easy Shaved Brussel Sprouts – a simple, go-to shaved brussels sprouts recipe that is perfect as a side dish or part of a delicious breakfast!
- 12oz brussel sprouts
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil (or ghee)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon course kosher salt
- Cut off stem of each Brussel sprout and peel off a few of the outer layers of leaves.
- Thinly slice by hand or using a mandolin. You can also pulse in a high-powered food processor.
- Heat cast iron skillet to medium high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to coat the pan.
- Add brussel sprouts to pan.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and then let sit on heat for 1 minute.
- Stir and add the additional 1/2 teaspoon olive oil if pan is starting to get a little dry.
- Stir again and then let sit for an additional minute.
- Taste (carefully) and add additional pinches of salt or pepper, as desired.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Olive oil: Feel free to substitute ghee or avocado oil instead of olive oil. You could also use ghee if you wanted.
- Seasoning: Feel free to add additional seasonings such as garlic powder, turmeric or a little paprika! Some people also like a touch of balsamic on these when serving!
- Serving Suggestions: Use as a side dish for dinner, throw some eggs in there and call it breakfast.
- Bacon Grease: I love making this recipe in the same pan I already made bacon in! Just pour off the grease and the remaining grease coats the pan nicely!.
Keywords: shaved brussel sprouts