Easy Shaved Brussel Sprouts – make as an easy (kid-friendly) side dish for any weeknight dinner OR make as fun addition to breakfast! It goes so, so well with eggs!
Easy Shaved Brussel Sprouts
These shaved Brussel sprouts are the perfect side dish for your weeknight dinner OR a fun addition to any breakfast!!
If you haven’t jumped on the brussel sprout bandwagon ….what is stopping you?!? I know they get a bad wrap, but when cooked the right way brussel sprouts are sooo delicious (we also love them in this Brussels Sprouts au Gratin). When I cook them this way my 4 and 8 year old kids ask for seconds – I swear. They absolutely love them and I know you guys will too!
What are the benefits of eating brussel sprouts
Brussel sprouts are a great source of:
- Hight in nutrients (vitamin K, C and A as well as Folate and Manganese)
- Rich in Antioxidants
- May help combat cancer
- High in Fiber
- Inflammation reducing (Source)
How to Make Shaved Brussel Sprouts (step by step)
- Cut off the very end/stem
- Peel off the outer 2-3 layers (or thoroughly wash outer leaves).
- Thinly slice – you can do this by hand or with a mandolin. You can also pulse them in a food processor!
- Toss in a cast iron skillet with olive oil (or a little left over bacon grease) and move around on medium-high heat until they start to char just slightly.
Once you thinly slice the Brussel sprouts, they are ready to be sautéed! Cook in olive oil, ghee, salt and pepper and cook until they are just slightly charred!
Serve as a plain side dish for dinner or as part of a yummy breakfast! No matter what they will be a hit!
Other recipes you might like:
- Creamy Whole30 Frittata
- Roasted Broccolini
- How to Make Cold Brew Coffee
- Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
Shaved Brussel Sprouts – a simple, go-to shaved brussel sprouts recipe that is perfect as a side dish or part of a delicious breakfast!
- 12oz fresh brussel sprouts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or ghee)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cut the stem off of each brussel sprout and peel off a few of the outer leaf layers.
- Thinly slice each brussel sprout by hand or using a mandolin. You can also pulse in a high-powered food processor.
- Bring a large cast iron skillet to a medium high heat. Add the olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add brussel sprouts to hot pan and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and then let sit on heat for 1 minute. Option to add a little more olive oil, if pan is starting to get a little dry.
- Continue stirring and letting them sit until cooked to your desired crispness.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Olive oil: option to substitute ghee or avocado oil, instead of olive oil.
- Seasoning: Feel free to add additional seasonings such as garlic powder, turmeric or a little paprika! Some people also like a touch of balsamic vinegar, when serving!
- Serving Suggestions: Use as a side dish for dinner, throw some eggs in there and call it breakfast.
- Bacon Grease: I love making this recipe in the same pan I already made bacon in! Just pour off the grease and the remaining grease coats the pan nicely!
- Serving Size: 3oz
- Calories: 67
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 176.3 mg
- Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.7 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: shaved brussel sprouts, shaved brussel sprouts recipe