These easy Smoked Onions would make the perfect addition to any of your favorite burger recipes, summer salads, or on top of some grilled steaks! Super simple to make and they will really level up the overall flavor!
The Best Smoked Onions
Anytime we are able to fire up our Traeger pellet grill to smoke some delicious food, we are happy! We will cook just about anything low and slow with all those amazing smoky flavors coming from various types of wood. It is such an easy way to bring so many foods, especially summer foods, to the next level. These easy smoked onion recipe is cooked on the electric smoker with an option to add a sear or charring by turning up the heat on the smoker or on a gas grill or in a cast iron skillet.
If you don’t have a smoker but still want to add more flavor to your onions? You can just toss them directly on the grill for a couple minutes!
What You Will Need
- sweet yellow onion – we love using sweet Vidalia onions, but you can use this same process to smoke white onions or red onions too!
- olive oil – just brush some on both side of the onion slices to prevent sticking.
- kosher salt – a simple seasoning that always hits the spot!
How To Make Smoked Onions
The first step to making this smoked onion recipe is to peel the outside of the onion so that it is ready to slice.
Now grab a cutting board and sharp knife. Hold the onion steady and make 1/4-1/2″ slices down the entire onion.
Lightly brush both sides of the onion circles with some olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Let them smoke for about 45-60 minutes and then carefully remove.
Place the onion slices in a single layer directly on the grill grates of a preheated smoker.
For best results: we suggest adding an optional sear at the end. This can be done by increasing the temperature of the smoker to 500 degrees F or place them on a hot gas grill or cast iron skillet for a quick sear.
Best Ways To Serve Smoked Onions
These smokey onions are perfect for leveling up so many of your favorite recipes, like:
- Dip – we love using these to make our French Onion Dip! A definite crowd-pleaser!
- Burgers – pile them on any of your favorite burger recipes, personally we love them with a smoked burger or bison burger.
- Salads – give these onions a quick chop and toss on our grilled flank steak salad or any other favorite summer salad!
- Steak – onions on top of steak are a must, so these would be delicious on some grilled steaks, sous vide steak, or smoked steaks!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Smoked Onions – an easy + simple smoked onions recipe that is the perfect addition to your favorite burger or salad recipe!
- 1 sweet yellow onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- Preheat smoker to 225 degrees F. and ensure grill grates are clean.
- Slice onion into 1/4-1/2 inch slices.
- Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with some kosher salt.
- Place sliced onions directly on the grill grates and close the lid.
- Smoke for 45-60 minutes and then remove.
- Optional Sear: if you want to get a nice char on your onions after smoking, sear them on the smoker at 500 degrees F (or you can do this in a cast iron skillet or gas grill).
- Use onions in our French Onion Dip or on your favorite burger!
Keywords: smoked onions