Steamed Cauliflower (how to steam cauliflower) – This quick and easy tutorial will show you how to make perfectly Steamed Cauliflower in two different ways – stovetop and microwave! Follow our step-by-step instructions to make this super simple side dish recipe!
Simple Steamed Cauliflower
There is simply nothing better than those quick and easy side dish recipes on busy weeknights! And this steamed cauliflower recipe is just that. With options to make it on the stovetop with a steamer basket, without a steamer basket, or simply in the microwave, this is a recipe for anyone! Keep it simple with butter, salt, and pepper or dress it up with any of your favorite herbs and spices. Either way it will be one of your new favorite things.
Looking to steam a whole head of cauliflower? Checkout our Instant Pot Cauliflower tutorial!
What You Will Need
- fresh cauliflower florets – cut them into large or smaller florets. If you chose a larger size, it will just take a bit longer to fully steam them.
- water – just a little in the bottom to create the steam.
How To Steam Cauliflower On Stovetop
To begin this cooking method, you place your steamer basked in a medium saucepan and add water to cover the bottom.
Place your cauliflower florets in the steamer basket.
Cover and bring to a boil on medium high heat.
Then reduce to a simmer on a lower heat and let the cauliflower steam for 5-6 minutes if you want them more firm and 7-9 minutes for a softer finish. Give them a poke to see if they are fork tender.
How To Steam Cauliflower In The Microwave
Place cauliflower florets in a microwave safe bowl along with enough water to cover the bottom of the container. Cover loosely with a microwave safe cover, make sure it is NOT tightly sealed. Microwave on high for approx. 10 minutes, checking every 3-4 minutes for doneness and to toss gently.
Best Ways To Serve Steamed Cauliflower
You can keep it simple and just toss them with some butter, kosher salt, and pepper. Or you could add some lemon, parsley, chili powder for a little bit of a kick, or any of your favorite fresh herbs. Or you can whip the steamed cauliflower in a blender or food processor to make mashed cauliflower and serve it with our Braised Lemon Garlic Chicken – so good!!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
How to Steam Cauliflower (Steamed Cauliflower) – an easy step-by-step tutorial on how to steam cauliflower on the stovetop or microwave!
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut onto florets
- Add a steamer basket to a medium-sized saucepan. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the saucepan. Place the cauliflower florets inside.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let cook 5-6 minutes for a firm, but tender finish or 7-9 minutes for a softer finish.
- Serve with butter, kosher salt and/or ground black pepper.
- No Steamer Basket: if you don’t have a steamer basket simply add enough water to cover the bottom of the saucepan and then add the cauliflower in and proceed with the recipe as written.
- Microwave Method: add cauliflower florets to a microwave safe bowl along with enough water to cover the bottom of the container. Cover loosely with a microwave safe cover. Microwave on high for approx. 10 minutes, checking every 3-4 minutes for doneness and to toss gently.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Keywords: how to steam cauliflower