A perfectly cream Mashed Cauliflower that is a delicious side dish recipe! Made with only 6 real, simple ingredients that come together to make the best mashed cauliflower recipe that can be served with just about anything!
Quick & Easy Mashed Cauliflower
This is the absolute best way to make a perfectly creamy mashed cauliflower recipe! It is a simple side dish that can easily increase your vegetable intake and not compromise on taste. We love serving this easy cauliflower recipe with our blog-favorite, Braised Lemon Garlic Chicken! They make a delicious weeknight dinner option.
Looking for another cauliflower side dish recipe? Checkout our Roasted Cauliflower Salad!
What You Will Need
- whole head of cauliflower – start by removing the stem and leaves, then cut or break the whole cauliflower into florets. You could also use frozen cauliflower!
- butter – to keep it dairy-free you can substitute with a plant-based butter.
- unsweetened almond milk – adjust the amount depending on how thick you like your cauliflower mash or sub for regular milk or coconut milk.
- extra virgin olive oil – a little bit to help with smoothing out the texture.
- kosher salt & garlic powder – simple seasonings that bring the best flavor!
- optional add-ins – parmesan cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, black pepper, fresh garlic, greek yogurt, or fresh chives.
How To Make Mashed Cauliflower
To start making this simple side dish recipe, you will need to cook the cauliflower florets. Simply place the cauliflower florets in a steamer basket in a large saucepan.
Bring the water in the pot to a boil on high heat and then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the cauliflower is very soft.
Other Ways To Cook Cauliflower For The Best Cauliflower Mash
In the recipe card below we steamed the cauliflower florets, but you could really cook the cauliflower a variety of different ways. You could steam the entire head of cauliflower in an Instant Pot or roast it in the oven. Then once it has cooled a bit, break it into florets, and move forward with the recipe.
Now place the cooked cauliflower in a high powered blender or large food processor with the remaining ingredients and blend on high for 2-3 minutes or until you reach a nice, creamy texture.
Option to add more almond milk to reach your desired consistency or adjust the salt or garlic powder to your preferred taste.
Serve any way you want!
Best Ways To Serve Cauliflower Mash
Our absolute favorite way to enjoy this easy mashed cauliflower recipe is with our Braised Lemon Garlic Chicken! It would also be amazing with some Braised Beef Short Ribs, Meatballs & Gravy, or Homemade Salisbury Steak. Or you could serve this easy recipe with some pork chops or roast chicken! No matter what you serve with it, just make sure you add a little more butter on top!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Other Cauliflower Recipes You Might Like
- Cauliflower Rice
- Easy Buffalo Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice
Mashed Cauliflower – a silky, smooth and delicious Mashed Cauliflower recipe that is the perfect side dish for any meal!
- 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 tablespoons butter (sub ghee or vegan butter)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk, more as-needed (sub regular milk)
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place a steamer basket in a medium/large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Add the cauliflower and cover. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, approx. 8-10 minutes or until the cauliflower is VERY soft (otherwise the consistency won’t be very smooth). Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add steamed cauliflower to a high-speed blender along with the remaining ingredients. Blend on HIGH for 2-3 minutes or until the consistency is silky smooth.
- Add additional almond milk a tablespoon at a time and then blend again to reach your desired consistency.
- Taste and add additional butter, salt or garlic powder – as desired.
- Dairy-Free: to make this recipe dairy-free use vegan butter and unsweetened almond milk.
- Other Cooking Techniques: you could also steam the head of cauliflower in an Instant Pot or roast it in the oven, instead of steaming it on the stovetop.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 178
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 235.2 mg
- Fat: 14.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.7 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
- Cholesterol: 30.5 mg
Keywords: mashed cauliflower, cauliflower mash