Caramelized Grapefruit + Basil and Honey is the perfect way to use in-season grapefruits!
If you guys haven’t picked up grapefruits from the store yet, you need to ASAP. They are perfectly in-season right now and just waiting to be taken home with you. I have always loved grapefruit, so I was excited to buy a couple last weekend and see what I could come up with. A grapefruit challenge – my kind of weekend (yes, I am aware I am super lame). But, I am really, really happy with the two recipes I came up with, including this one, and I can’t wait to share the other one with you soon!!!!
As you can tell, this recipe for Caramelized Grapefruit + Basil and Honey is pretty simple and easy, but so flavorful! You start by simply cutting your grapefruit in half and then sprinkling with sugar (I actually used coconut sugar). Then broil it in the oven on a cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes or until the sugar starts to caramelize.
Take out of the oven and then drizzle with a little honey and some chopped basil.
You can eat it right out of the rind or pull out the sections and eat over greek yogurt.
Talk about up’in your breakfast game. Right now this and the blackberry compote + greek yogurt or my two new favorites — we have been having breakfast for dinner a lot in our house lately. It’s just too good. Too good.
Do you guys have any favorite ways to eat grapefruit???
Also, if you are in the market for a new photography board – visit our Etsy Store!
FINALLY – if you don’t know already, I have potentially embarrassed myself and publicly proclaimed my goal to reach 100k monthly pageviews by the end of 2017….. errrr…. yeah. Sooooo if you want to follow my story, check out my Business of Blogging page and check it out!!
- 4 grapefruit
- 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar (or regular granulated sugar)
- 4-5 large basil leaves, chopped
- greek yogurt
- Cut grapefruit in half.
- Place on cookie sheet and sprinkle each half with about a 1 Teaspoon sugar.
- Broil on high for about 3-5 minutes - you will want to watch it carefully as it is a fine line between caramelizing and burning.
- Remove from oven when sugar starts to brown.
- Two options for serving:
- ) Leave in rind and cut around sections with knife for easy access.
- Drizzle with honey and sprinkle each grapefruit with about 1 leaf worth of basil.
- Serve immediately.
- ) Remove sections from rind.
- In bowl, add about ½ cup greek yogurt, the grapefruit sections and about 1 Teaspoon worth of basil - drizzle with honey.
- Either way is amazing!