This super easy Black Beans and Rice recipe is the perfect side dish to pair with any main course! Made with real, simple ingredients in less than 30 minutes, you can keep it simple or dress it up with all the best toppings!
The Best Black Beans and Rice Recipe
The big flavors noted in the recipe card below make this easy recipe taste like Cuban black beans and rice! Our whole family loves to enjoy these homemade black beans and rice on their own for a quick meat-less dinner with all the toppings. Or add a little bit of protein and serve with a main dish, like cast iron chicken thighs or some grilled steaks! These have quickly become one of our family favorite recipes that is requested again and again.
Looking for another flavorful rice side dish? You have to try our Salsa Rice – so good!
What You Will Need
- butter – just a little bit added to the pan to get things started! You could also use olive oil.
- yellow onion & garlic – classic additions that bring so much great flavor.
- jalapeño – perfect for a little extra kick with the option to add more or less depending on your taste preferences.
- black beans – a must for this recipe and a great way to add more protein! We love using canned beans instead of dry black beans, because they have a shorter cook time.
- ground cumin, dried oregano leaves, kosher salt, & ground black pepper – a spice combination that is bringing so much flavor.
- soy sauce – added for some extra flavor.
- lime juice – just a squeeze of lime juice for some acidity that will really amplify all the flavors!
- long grain rice – we love using a long-grain rice but you can easily swap this out for brown rice, jasmine rice, basmati rice, etc.
- topping options: avocado, fresh tomatoes, cheddar cheese, fresh cilantro, chopped red onion, green onions, sour cream, guacamole, etc.
How To Make Black Beans & Rice
The first steps to making this classic dish is to bring a large pot or dutch oven to a medium heat and melt the butter. Then add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno for about 2-4 minutes cooking time.
Now add the rest of the ingredients (except the cooked rice) to the hot pot. Mix to fully combine, cover, and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
While the seasoned black beans are simmering, cook your rice of choice in another pan according to the package directions.
Finally, mix the black beans and rice together and enjoy any way you want!
Best Way To Serve Black Beans and Rice
Our all-time favorite way to enjoy this delicious side dish is alongside our mojo chicken. The flavor combinations are out of this world! Other delicious options to eat with this easy side dish would be, blackened chicken, chicken enchilada casserole, or cook up some air fryer chicken thighs. Any of those would make it a more complete meal. Of course you don’t have to cook anything else, if you don’t want to. This can be a one pot meal that can be served with your favorite fresh toppings or even a fried egg and enjoy as a vegetarian dish!
Storing Black Beans & Rice
If you have any leftover rice and beans, you can place them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. This also makes this recipe a great option for meal prep! Just keep the rice and beans in the fridge and warm-up for an easy side dish all week. They might even taste better the next day! Looking to keep them for even longer? Let the beans and rice cool fully and then store in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Black Beans and Rice – a super simple dinner idea that is kid-friendly! This black beans and rice recipe is packed with flavor and so easy!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño, minced
- 15oz can black beans, drained
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (sub Tamari for gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 3 cups cooked long grain white rice
- Toppings (choose your own): avocado, diced tomato, sour cream, shredded cheese
- Bring a medium saucepan to medium-high heat.
- Add butter, let melt and swirl to coat the pan. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno. Move around pan until garlic is fragrant and onion has softened, approx. 2-4 minutes.
- Add black beans, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, soy sauce and lime juice. Stir to combine. Cover and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Combine seasoned black beans and cooked rice. Stir to combine. Taste and add additional salt, pepper or other seasoning, as desired.
- Divide black beans and rice between plates. Top with cheese, avocado, tomato and sour cream.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Dairy-Free: use dairy-free cheese and sour cream to make this dairy-free.
- Gluten-Free: use Tamari instead of soy sauce to make this gluten-free.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 421.2 mg
- Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 66.1 g
- Protein: 8.5 g
- Cholesterol: 3.8 mg
Keywords: black beans and rice