Dairy-Free Chocolate Cherry Scones – a light and delicious way to start your day!
This post is sponsored by Zevia®, but the opinions are my own.
Just in time for Valentine’s Day – these Dairy-Free Chocolate Cherry Scones are the perfect way to start your day!
I don’t know about you guys, but I have always loved Valentine’s Day. I know it can get a bad wrap for being too “commercial,” and I get it, I suppose in some ways it has. But when it comes down to it, it is a day about celebrating love – and I think we could only use more of that. How I show my love is through cooking. It doesn’t have to be an extravagant meal. Baking a simple loaf of homemade bread can tell someone so much more than buying them something that costs so much more. Or making these dairy-free scones for someone who is allergic to dairy or lactose intolerant. Such a simple gesture can so such a long way.
I have always shown my love through cooking, and this Valentine’s Day I highly encourage you to do the same!
As with so many things, scones are something I normally swear clear of with my allergy, but I was so excited to make these in partnership with Zevia! I experimented and used this Black Cherry pop (sweetened only with Stevia) to sweeten these delicious, flaky scones and they turned out amazing! So excited to share this recipe with you guys! I hope you have an absolutely lovely Valentine’s Day!
If you are looking for other recipes to inspire you for Valentine’s Day, check out this recipe for Fettuccine with Clams, Scallop and Mussels in White Wine Sauce! (one of the most popular recipes on the blog!)
- 1 egg (sub with flax egg to make vegan)
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup Zevia Blackcherry Soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon + 1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons room temperature coconut oil (scoop able, not liquid or frozen)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, dairy free chocolate chunks (or chocolate bar broken into chunks, or cocoa nibs)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine egg, almond milk and Zevia, set aside. (If using flax egg, prepare egg first and then add almond milk and Zevia)
- In separate bowl, sift flour and then add baking powder and salt and then whisk together.
- Add coconut oil to flour mixture and use a fork to fully combine.
- Whisk egg mixture slowly into flour mixture until fully combined. (if too sticky add a little more flour; if too dry add a splash of almond milk).
- Add dried cherries and chocolate and mix, using your hands if needed to fully combine.
- Place dough on flour-covered surface and form into disc, approximately 1 inch tall.
- Cut using a very sharp knife into 6 equal size pieces.
- Move pieces to cookie sheet and bake for 22-25 minutes.