This Hummus Bowl has all the freshest Greek flavors thanks to crisp cucumbers, savory olives, creamy hummus, and nutty farro. A perfect lunch or dinner that comes together with simple, whole food ingredients.
The Best Hummus Bowl
If you’re new to the hummus bowl game, welcome. We’re glad that you’re here. This hummus bowl recipe is a snap to put together, tasty, and will leave you feeling your best thanks to tons of plant based ingredients and optional protein packed chicken breast. We have a homemade hummus (roasted garlic version found here), with some Greek Chicken Thighs (feel free to omit), feta, farro and so much more!
What You Will Need
- chickpeas – A tender and nutty legume that provides the hummus base.
- lemon juice – Just a bit of citrus flavor to balance and brighten.
- extra virgin olive oil – The least processed of all the oils, which keeps all of the natural antioxidant and vitamins intact.
- tahini – Made by grinding toasted sesame seeds, expect a nut butter-like consistency and mild flavor.
- salt – Just a bit to elevate flavors.
- water – Helps to thin out the creaminess of the chickpeas and tahini.
For The Bowl
- farro – Check out our post on how to make farro three different ways.
- crumbled feta – Tangy, rich, and salty to add a punch of flavors in every bite.
- kalamata olives – A classic Greek ingredient that brings rich and smokey flavors.
- English cucumber – We love this variety because they have less water content, keeping your bowl fresh and not soupy.
- cherry tomatoes – A pop of color and sweet in flavor.
- red bell pepper – A mild pepper that has a touch of sweetness.
- greek chicken – An optional ingredient to add more protein and Greek flavors.
- pickled onions – Don’t skip this one, friends. This small ingredient brings crunch, tang, and mild sweetness.
- pita – Feel free to swap for naan bread for serving.
How To Make A Hummus Bowl
Start your hummus by gathering your ingredients and placing your drained and rinsed chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, tahini, salt, and water in a food processor or blender. Blend all the ingredients together until they have a smooth consistency.
Add additional water, one tablespoon at a time, in order to thin out the hummus until it reaches your desired consistency. Be sure to give it a taste and add more salt if needed.
Divide the hummus between four bowls and get your toppings ready for assembly! Our favorite toppings are kalamata olives, pickled red onion, English cucumber, feta, cherry tomatoes, and red bell pepper. To quickly cook farro, use our instant pot cooking method as shown in our how to cook farro post.
Other Hummus Bowl Ideas
Don’t let us hold back your creativity when it comes to adding the flavors that you love. Here are a few other ingredients that lend themselves nicely to this bowl.
- chopped mint – Just a bit would add some minty freshness.
- lamb meatballs – A blog favorite that brings all the Greek flavors.
- pan fried shrimp – a mild protein that would easily pair with these Greek flavors
- oven baked tilapia – another mild flavored seafood that would add some nice texture and flavor.
Hummus Bowls And Wraps
Pair this hummus bowl with one of tasty wraps to make this a complete meal. Some of our favorites are our easy black bean and avocado wrap, turkey + goat cheese lettuce wraps, or our classic chicken caesar wrap. Enjoy!
- dairy-free – To keep this dairy-free, use a diary-free feta cheese.
- meal prep – Feel free to prep the hummus and farro ahead of time to make for quick assembly at dinner time.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Hummus Bowl – a delicious ultimate hummus bowl recipe with chicken (optional), farro, olives, feta and pickled onions! So fresh and easy!
For the Hummus:
- 1 16oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 2–3 tablespoons water, more as-needed
For the Bowl (pick and choose):
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1 cup crumbled feta, regular or dairy-free
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 1 1/2 English cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- greek chicken thighs (omit if you want a meatless meal)
- quick pickled onions
- pita or naan for serving
For the Hummus:
- Combine chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, tahini, salt and water in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add additional water to thin (1 tablespoon at a time) and blend until you have reached your desired consistency. Taste and add any additional salt, as needed.
Assemble the Bowl:
- Divide hummus between 4 bowls.
- Add remaining ingredients around the bowl.
- Garnish with quick pickled onions and serve with pita or naan.
- Dairy-Free: to keep this dairy-free use a dairy-free feta cheese.
- Meal Prep: feel free to prep the hummus and farro ahead of time to make for quick assemble at dinner time!
Keywords: hummus bowl