Butterflied Chicken Recipe – a quick and easy way to make the perfect chicken every time!! (Whole30/Paleo)
Looking for a classic Butterflied Chicken Recipe? This is it. Looking for the best way to meal prep your chicken. This is also it. Looking for a replacement for that store-bought rotisserie chicken? Also it.
Butterflied Chicken Recipe
Save this recipe right NOW. I am telling you – you need this in your life. Whether you are having a dinner party, meal prepping, or planning a nice Sunday family dinner ….. this chicken works. It is SO easy and SO quick (the trick is to butterfly your chicken – cuts way down on the cooking time). The ingredients are all Whole30 approved (and Paleo) and no one will know. It’s that good.
Now I also mention in the recipe that you can slow down the process a bit and marinade the chicken for a while, that is totally up to you! I only did a quick-marinade and this is how it turned out so….. you decide!
I already know a lot of you will be asking…
How do you Butterfly a Chicken?
It is actually much more simple than you can imagine. Here is how it is done:
- Rinse your chicken and pat it dry.
- Set it down as you normally would, but then flip it over (you are now looking at its back). Right down the middle of the bird is it’s backbone (about an inch wide).
- Grab your Kitchen Shears, and cut out the backbone (feel free to save to make some bone broth). To do this, just cut about a 1 inch strip straight out of the middle of the back.
- Open up the bird and make a small slit at the neck so you can open it up to lay it flat.
- Last, as you open up the bird, right down the middle you will be able to feel the breastbone. Cut along either side of that and remove it as well.
- Turn bird back over.
There are a ton of good YouTube tutorials as well if you are a visual learner (I will post a how-to at some point in the future!!).
Told you guys that was easy!!
I really hope you guys enjoy!
Hope you guys have a great start to your week!!!
A quick and easy way to make the perfect chicken every time!! (Whole30/Paleo)
- 5–8lb chicken, butterflied
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons ghee, melted
- Place Chicken in a container that allows it to sit fairly flat and rub down with salt, getting into every crevice.
- Combine olive oil, parsley, garlic, coco aminos and lemon juice.
- Pour over chicken and, using your hands, rub ALL over.
- Cover and let sit for 15 minutes (or as long as 48 hours).
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place chicken on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with pepper and a little more salt.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
- Reduce to 350 and keep cooking for an additional 40 minutes, basting every 10 minutes with the melted ghee and the drippings.
- Let rest 5-10 minutes and then serve. (I highly recommend you serve with some of the drippings poured on top).
- Or, cut up and keep in fridge for meal prep (again, I would highly suggest storing in the drippings so it retains flavor and doesn’t dry out!).
Thank you so much for reading & supporting The Wooden Skillet! This post contains affiliate links for products I actually use in my own home and personally recommend. Should you make a purchase using one of these links, The Wooden Skillet will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. Thank you!