Crispy Pan-Seared Salmon + Charred Broccoli and Brussel Sprouts – a healthy and delicious weeknight dinner!
You guys – it feels so good to be back! If you follow me on Instagram you know that we have been out-of-town that past week (lounging by Lake Superior), so things have been a little quiet on my end. It felt so good to take it slow for a week. I had such good intentions of prepping several posts for over the past week, but it just didn’t happen (you guys know – prepping to be out-of-town for 10 days with 2 little ones is hard enough!). But it’s okay – the blog kept on running without my typical 3 posts per week ? And here we are back at it – with this beautiful and delicious Crispy Pan-Seared Salmon + Charred Broccoli and Brussel Sprouts; one of my all-time favorites (seriously, I make some version of this recipe almost once a week)….
How have you guys been – how was your 4th of July?!?! Ours was amazing, spent with family, going to the parade (so much candy and so many tractors (we were in Wisconsin)), lunch by the lake, a cookout and then fireworks.
And who is feeling like maaaaybe they need to cut back a little after last weeks indulgences? eh? anyone? (you can’t see me but I am raising my hand with you). Well, then this is the perfect recipe for you!
Again, if you follow me on Insta, you know that I eat salmon, like, a lot. And it is either cooked like this or crispy and pan seared. Both are amazing and just leave you feeling oh-so-amazing. I mean its salmon and power-veggies – come on.
Also forgot, I put an egg on it. But that is totally personal preference. I mean it’s amazing and you should do it (no pressure), but totally up to you ?
And now for the good stuff…
That egg though….
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
A healthy and delicious weeknight dinner!
- 2 skin-on salmon fillets (about 6oz each)
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil (light olive oil will work as well)
- 3–4 Tablespoons olive oil
- approx. 15 brussel sprouts (cut off stem, remove outer most leaves and cut in half)
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into very small, bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- Take salmon and place between two pieces of paper towel and pat firmly to dry.
- Allow salmon to sit and dry with a sprinkling of kosher salt rubbed into it for 30 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, place broccoli in medium bowl and drizzle with approx. 2 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- Massage the broccoli with your (clean) hands to ensure oil has really soaked in.
- Add Brussel sprouts and cabbage to the same bowl.
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil (enough to ensure everything is well coated) and sprinkle with 1/2 Tablespoon kosher salt (additional to taste).
- Pour vegetables on to foil-lined baking sheet.
- Place under broiler for 6-8 minutes to allow everything to char slightly, check halfway and toss.
- After broiling, set oven at 400 and move to middle rack.
- Roast for about 15-20 minutes; checking periodically to toss.
- Meanwhile, mix together 2 Tablespoons pepper and 2 Tablespoons kosher salt and rub all over the salmon fillets (skin side too!).
- In large cast iron skillet, bring avocado oil to medium high heat and then reduce to medium.
- Add salmon, one at a time, skin side down and then press firmly in place for 10 seconds to ensure skin is completely flat.
- Continue cooking, pressing down occasionally to ensure good contact with heat, for 7-10 minutes.
- Once you can lift the salmon with no resistance and salmon reaches 130 degrees (for medium) flip over.
- Cook on meat side for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until it reaches desired doneness.
- Check on vegetables, if you haven’t already and if they aren’t as charred as you would like, broil again for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Add additional salt to vegetables, as desired.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: Crispy Pan-Seared Salmon