The perfect way to use that leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
- Leftover meat and bones from 10-15 pound turkey
- 3 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped into 4–5 sections
- 3 stalks celery, rinsed and cut into large chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into large chunks (you can quarter or slice)
- 3–4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 small bunch of fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 2–3 bay leaves
- 1 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt, more to taste
- Place your meat and bone in a 6-8 qt dutch oven (other other stock pot) and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add additional ingredients.
- Stir well and then cover and let simmer for a minimum of 60-90 minutes (the longer you simmer, the more flavorful it will be).
- Taste and add additional salt, as needed, until reached desired flavor.
- Strain and place broth in mason jar for storage or use to make soup.
- Turkey Soup: If you are making turkey soup immediately following, you can keep any meat and use it, although it may be a little dry – otherwise simply discard.
- Storage: Place in refrigerator and use within 5-7 days or place in freezer (remember to leave extra room in mason jar if freezing to allow for expanding liquid).
Keywords: how to make turkey broth, how to make homemade turkey broth