These slightly sweet and tangy Slow Cooker Baked Beans would make the perfect addition to your next family gathering or summer bbq! They are homemade baked beans that are made with real, simple ingredients and savory flavor. They are one of our family favorite recipes every year for the Fourth of July and family reunions!
The Best Slow Cooker Baked Beans
Our whole family loves a good homemade baked beans recipe, like our smoked baked beans, but this recipe makes the whole cooking process even easier! We absolutely love slow cooking these beans for delicious results. A great recipe that starts on the stovetop but then just simmers all day to make the best baked beans recipe that has a little bit of tang from the mustard and a touch of sweetness.
Traditional baked beans require soaking dry beans for hours, but we hit the easy button and just used canned beans for our crockpot baked beans. Simple and a real crowd-pleaser – the perfect summer side dish!
What You Will Need
- bacon – we love using nice, thick bacon slices to add so much flavor!
- yellow onion, garlic, & green pepper – cooked up in some of the leftover bacon grease for some added flavor and a little bit of a crunch.
- pinto beans & great northern beans – a combination of different beans that can be picked up at your local grocery store.
- barbecue sauce – either grab your favorite store-bought bbq sauce or make your own!
- ketchup – perfect for a savory sauce in these baked beans.
- coconut sugar – added for a touch of sweetness, option to sub with brown sugar.
- apple cider vinegar – just a splash for that bit of tanginess that we all know and love.
- yellow mustard & stone ground mustard – this mixture of mustard flavors really bring the whole bean recipe to life.
- smoked garlic powder & smoked onion powder – we absolutely love the hint of smokey flavor these add, but you can absolutely use the regular version of each too.
- worcestershire sauce – great for a little added depth of flavor!
How To Make Slow Cooker Baked Beans
The first step to making this easy baked beans recipe is to cut the strips of bacon into small chunks and cook them in a large saucepan on the stove top until the fat renders.
Remove the cooked bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon and leave about 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease. Bring the skillet back to a medium heat, add the onion, garlic, and pepper, and cook until they have softened.
Now add the delicious bacon, sautéed onion, garlic, pepper, and the rest of the ingredients to a slow cooker. Give it a good mix and place the cover on top.
Cook everything on the high heat setting for 3-4 hours or the low setting for 4-6 hours of cooking time. Give it another mix and leave it on the warm setting for everyone to enjoy!
Best Way To Serve Slow Cooker Baked Beans
This easy crock pot baked beans recipe would be amazing with just about anything! Typically we like to serve them up in the summer for a backyard bbq. Our family enjoys them with some smoked baby back ribs, grilled ribs, coleslaw, cornbread muffins, potato salad, and some grilled corn on the cob! Any of your traditional grilled or smoked dinners would be great with this perfect side dish.
Made this salmon cream cheese dip and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Slow Cooker Baked Beans Recipe – a delicious, flavorful and easy slow cooker baked bean recipe that is perfect for a crowd and your next cookout!
- 3–4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- (2) 15oz cans pinto beans, drained
- 15oz can great northern beans, drained
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (sub brown sugar)
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked garlic powder (reg. garlic powder works)
- 1 teaspoon smoked onion powder (reg. onion powder works)
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire
- Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until fat has rendered. Remove bacon from pan and place on a paper-towel lined plate. Leave 2-3 tablespoons of rendered bacon fat in the pan, discard any excess.
- In the same hot pan add the garlic, onion and green bell pepper. Sauté for 2-4 minutes or until onion and pepper have softened a bit.
- To the slow cooker add the onion mixture, bacon pieces, pinto beans, great northern beans, bbq sauce, ketchup, coconut sugar, apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, stone ground mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 4-6 hours.
- Bacon: I love using a smokey, thick cut bacon here!
- BBQ Sauce: a sweet + smokey is my recommended store-bought option, but you can also use a homemade bbq sauce.
- Coconut Sugar: you can sub in brown sugar here if you prefer.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 108
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 124.2 mg
- Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.6 g
- Protein: 4.7 g
- Cholesterol: 2.3 mg
Keywords: slow cooker baked beans