Roasted Rosemary Garlic Leg of Lamb – a special and delicious holiday meal!
The most amazing recipe for a perfect Roasted Rosemary Garlic Leg of Lamb!
Lamb is one of those cuts of meat you only eat about once a year, maybe twice if you are lucky. For us it is either a Christmas or Easter dinner – this year we made it for an early Christmas dinner with my mom and I knew I just had to share our recipe with you guys!
The trick is to 1) cook the fat side up so it self-bastes and 2) to cut a TON of slits in the lamb and stick slivers of raw garlic inside …. amazing. And then add a crust of salt, pepper and rosemary. Very few ingredients, but they just meld so beautifully together. An absolute favorite meal of mine! Oh and you HAVE to try dipping it in this Creamy Whole30 Horseradish Sauce!!! I know mint jelly is traditional, but I actually prefer the horseradish sauce!
But lets talk quick about the biggest question everyone has about their leg of lamb……
How long to cook roasted leg of lamb:
In order to determine how long you need to cook your leg of lamb you need to determine how many pounds your lamb is and how well-done you want it cooked.
For a medium finish you need to cook your lamb approx. 25 minutes per pound; 20 minutes per pound for a medium-rare finish and 30 minutes for a medium-well finish. If you are have something different than a whole leg of lamb, check out this awesome chart that really breaks it down for you!
Let me know if you guys make it and I hope you are have a (semi) relaxing week before Christmas!
- 1 bone-in leg of lamb (picture shows 8lb leg of lamb)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, cut in thick slices
- 2-3 Tablespoons dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 325
- Place leg of lamb in roasting pan, fat side up.
- Take a small knife and cut approx. 1 inch deep slits randomly all over the lamb.
- Slide a slice of raw garlic into each slit (you really can't have too many, but the more you have obviously the more garlicky your lamb will be).
- Sprinkle a healthy amount of salt and pepper over the entire leg.
- Then take the rosemary, ½ Tablespoon at a time in your hand, and crush it with your fingers and then sprinkle all over.
- Place lamb in oven, uncovered, and cook approx. 25 minutes per pound for a medium finish - 160 degrees internal temp (20 mins per pound for medium-rare - 145 degree internal temp; 30 mins per pound for well done - 170 degree internal temp).
- Let rest approximately 20 minutes before carving.