These Lamb Chops are seared to perfection in our favorite cast iron skillet and are perfect for a quick, easy dinner option or dress them up for special occasions! The recipe card includes instructions for a flavorful lamb chop marinade and a homemade lamb sauce too!
The Best Lamb Chops (An Easy Stovetop Recipe)
These beautiful lamb lollipops are simple enough to make for an easy weeknight dinner with Instant Pot mashed potatoes and garlic green beans or whip them up for a Christmas dinner with goat cheese potatoes au gratin and green bean casserole. Either way, the flavor provided by the easy lamb marinade will have everyone impressed! We love searing them on the stovetop but we have also included instructions on how to easily grill lamb chops in the recipe card. Choose what works for you!
Looking for another amazing holiday dinner option? Try our Ultimate Leg of Lamb – so good!
What You Will Need
- lamb marinade – a simple recipe that only requires 8 simple ingredients to make super flavorful chops!
- fresh lamb chops – you can find these at your local grocery store or butcher shop. Try to find some that are about 1-inch thick for quick-cooking.
- lamb sauce – this easy lamb sauce is perfect for dipping after cooking.
- optional: you can also add a bit of white wine, fresh thyme, or red pepper flakes for a little kick. Do what works for you!
How To Prep Lamb Chops Before Cooking
There are a variety of ways to add flavor and season lamb chops. Below you will find instructions for a homemade marinade that your fresh lamb chops can soak in for as little as 30 minutes or as long as overnight. If you don’t have the time, you can mix up a lamb seasoning to coat your cuts of lamb. Another great way to amp up the flavor!
Side Dishes for Lamb – check out our round-up of all of your Lamb Side Dishes!
How To Make Lamb Chops
To begin making these tender lamb chops, you can place them in a shallow baking dish or large reusable plastic bag, and let them come to room temperature.
Then mix together the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl with a whisk.
And pour the marinade over the top. Cover the dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator overnight for best results or for as little as 30 minutes.
Once you are ready to cook the lamb chops, warm your cast iron skillet to medium heat and add a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Then sear the marinated lamb chops in a hot pan for 2-3 minutes on each side or until their internal temperature reaches 130 degrees F (us a meat thermometer).
How Should Lamb Chops Be Cooked
This delicious lamb recipe is pan-seared to perfection on the stovetop. You could also place your marinated lamb chops on a hot grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until they reach a medium temperature – 130 degrees F. Either way will result in a crisp outside and juicy, tender meat on the inside.
Cooking Temperatures For Lamb
- Rare: 115-120 degrees F
- Medium-Rare: 125 degrees F
- Medium: 130 degrees F
- Medium-Well: 145 degrees F
- Well Done: 150 degrees F
Pro tip: keep a close eye on those internal temperatures and remember that while the lamb chops are resting they will continue to increase by a few degrees. So make sure you pull them off the heat a few degrees before they reach your preferred temp.
Best Ways To Serve Lamb Chops
There are so many different options! We love to serve them with couscous, a small fresh salad, creamy mashed potatoes, a Greek cucumber salad, or some simple steamed green beans for the perfect meal. Or if you are feeling festive and make them for Christmas dinner you can make all the traditional side dishes! All of your family and friends are going to love them!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Lamb Chops Recipe – a simple + delicious marinated lamb chops recipe that is perfect for any special occasion! Don’t forget that lamb sauce!
Lamb Chops + Marinade:
- Approx. 1 pound lamb chops (8-10 lamb chops)*
- 3–4 tablespoons olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 3 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1–2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt**
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (regular or dairy-free)
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, more if desired
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, minced and loosely packed
- Prep Lamb Chops: Pat lamb chops dry and place in a deep glass container or reusable silicone bag. Combine olive oil, garlic, kosher salt, ground black pepper, fresh rosemary, lemon zest and dried oregano leaves in a small bowl; whisk to combine. Pour marinade mixture over the lamb chops and ensure they are fully coated. Let marinate at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator or overnight.
- Prep Lamb Sauce: Meanwhile, combine Lamb Sauce ingredients in a food processor or wide mouth mason jar (or other container suitable for using with an immersion blender). Process in the food process or use an immersion blender with the mason jar to fully combine sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired. The sauce can be refrigerated up to 3 days if you want to make it ahead of time.
- Cook Lamb Chops: bring a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add a little drizzle of olive or avocado oil and swirl to coat the pan. In batches if necessary, add lamb chops to the skillet and cook approx. 2-3 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 130 degrees F. (for medium-rare). Remove lamb chops from pan and lest rest 5-10 minutes.
- Serving: After resting, serve lamb chops with the lamb sauce with some couscous and greens.
- *Lamb Chops: in testing we used a Frenched rack of lamb and cut the individual lolipop lamb chops apart. You can just as easily use regular lamb chops – whatever is available to you!
- **Dairy-Free Lamb Sauce: use a plain, unsweetened dairy-free yogurt in place of the plain Greek yogurt and use a dairy-free sour cream.
- Grilled Lamb Chops: feel free to cook these on the grill if you prefer – very similar cooking instructions! Sear both sides on high heat about 2-3 minutes each side or until internal temp reaches 130 degrees F. (for medium-rare). Just make sure those grill grates are clean and rubbed with oil beforehand. Let rest and then serve.
- Storage: store leftover lamb chops in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: lamb chops