These quick and easy Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes are the most delicious and creamy mashed potatoes made in less than 20 minutes and packed with flavor! Easy enough to make for a quick weeknight dinner or simplify your mashed potato recipe for your next holiday meal!
The Best Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potato Recipe
Perfect for a quick side dish recipe for a simple family dinner or dress them up for the holidays! We are a big fan of comfort food, especially in the cooler months, and one of the BEST comfort foods is a big bowl of mashed potatoes. So warm and creamy! We love them even more when they can be made with real ingredients and in a matter of minutes entirely in our pressure cooker. The perfect weeknight side dish with the most amazing flavor.
Preparing them in the Instant Pot is also a nice way to get one of your holiday side dishes off the stovetop – so quick and easy. They are quickly going to become the new family favorite!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy – the instant pot makes this in 9 minutes (+ pressure time)!
- Creamy & Delicious – peeling the potatoes plus the addition of coconut milk gives these potatoes a nice, creamy texture.
- Perfect for the holidays – putting mashed potatoes in the instant pot is the perfect way to get one of your side dishes off the stovetop + make them super fast!
What You Will Need
- russet potatoes – this recipe will work with any variety of potato, but we love using a large russet potato for mashed potatoes!
- water – the amount depends on how many potatoes you are making. You just need enough to cover the tops of the potatoes in the Instant Pot.
- coconut milk – the perfect way to keep this mashed potato recipe dairy-free but still super creamy! Option to sub with another plant-based milk or dairy milk, up to you.
- ghee or butter – if you want it to stay Whole30/Paleo you will want to stick with ghee, otherwise butter works great too.
- kosher salt – a simple seasoning that is always a must when making potatoes!
- garlic, garlic powder, & garlic salt – this is where all that amazing garlic flavor comes from.
- dried rosemary – a dried herb that works so great with these creamy potatoes!
How To Make Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
The first steps to making this delicious mashed potato recipe is to peel the potatoes and cut them into 6-8 large chunks. Place them in the Instant Pot with just enough water to cover them. For best results, we like to peel the potatoes but you can skip this step, if you want.
Now seal the lid on top and cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. Then manually release the pressure immediately (according to manufacturer’s instructions).
Remove the inner metal pot and drain the potatoes in a colander. Return the cooked potatoes to the Instant Pot.
Use a hand mixer or potato masher to begin mashing the potatoes. Add the rest of the mashed potato ingredients to the pot.
Continue whipping or mashing the potatoes to your desired consistency.
Enjoy with some more ghee/butter, a sprinkling of dried rosemary, or fresh chives!
Best Ways To Enjoy Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
These simple garlic mashed potatoes are so versatile! Here are just a few of our favorite ways to enjoy this easy side dish recipe:
- Easy weeknight dinner – when you are short on time, there is nothing better than potatoes that only take about 9 minutes (+ pressure time) to make! Serve with some baked pork chops and steamed green beans for an easy weeknight family dinner.
- Sunday supper – here at The Wooden Skillet we love a good Sunday supper to enjoy with the family before starting a busy week and these are perfect to make with a whole roasted chicken and parmesan broccoli!
- Holiday dinner – if you can get one more recipe off the stovetop you are ahead of the game for your next Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas dinner! We absolutely love that these potatoes are delicious, off the stovetop, and are basically hands-off. Simplify your holiday meal!
- Hand mixer – No, you don’t have to use a hand mixer. You can use a potato masher too. The hand mixer also makes the texture more creamy.
- Storage – any potato leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-6 days. A great option for preparing this ahead of a family gathering!
- Coconut milk – we prefer using coconut milk to keep it all extra creamy, but you could also sub in almond milk or another milk variety here.
- Ghee – to keep this recipe Whole30/Paleo you will want to use ghee but you could also use butter.
- Other toppings or add-ins – if you are up for it, try adding some cheddar or parmesan cheese, ranch dressing, thyme, sage, or even some crumbled bacon!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes – the most delicious and creamy mashed potatoes made in minutes and packed with flavor!
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup ghee or butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Peel potatoes. Cut each potato into about 6-8 large chunks.
- Add potato chunks to the inner pot of your Instant Pot and then add enough water to just barely cover them.
- Place the cover on the Instant Pot and set to Seal.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 9 minutes.
- Manually release pressure immediately (according to manufacturer’s instructions).
- Drain the potatoes and return to Instant Pot.
- Add ghee (or butter), coconut milk, salt, garlic, garlic powder, rosemary and garlic salt.
- Use a hand mixer or potato masher to mix.
- Taste and add additional seasoning, as desired.
- Peeling Potatoes: Peeling the potatoes are optional, but it will turn out creamier if you do peel them.
- Hand Mixer: You could also just use a potato masher here, but I prefer to whip them with a hand mixer. Use whatever you prefer.
- Storage: Store leftover mashed potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days.
- Cook Time: The 9 minute cook time does not include the few minutes it will take for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 164.7 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
- Cholesterol: 10.2 mg
Keywords: instant pot garlic mashed potatoes