Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes – the most delicious and creamy mashed potatoes made in minutes and packed with flavor! (Whole30 + Paleo)
Perfect for a quick side dish or the holidays!
I’m a big fan of comfort food, especially in the cooler months, and one of the BEST comfort foods is a big bowl of mashed potatoes. So warm and creamy! I love them even more when they can be made with real ingredients and in a matter of minutes in the Instant Pot! The perfect weeknight side dish with the most amazing flavor.
Preparing them in the Instant Pot is also a nice way to get one of your holiday side dishes off the stovetop – so quick and easy. The whole family will love these!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Easy – the instant pot makes this in 9 minutes (+ pressure time)!!
- Creamy & Delicious – peeling the potatoes plus the addition of coconut milk makes these potatoes so wonderfully creamy.
- Perfect for the holidays – putting mashed potatoes in the instant pot is the perfect way to get one of your side dishes off the stovetop + make them super fast!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Russet potatoes
- Coconut milk
- Ghee or butter
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Dried rosemary
- Garlic salt
RECIPE FAQs & TIPS
- Should I peel the potatoes? – you don’t have to peel them but they will have a creamier texture if you do.
- Do I have to use a hand mixer? – No, you don’t have to use a hand mixer. You can use a potato masher too. I like that the hand mixer also makes the texture more creamy.
- Can I store the leftovers? – Absolutely! You can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-6 days.
- Coconut milk – I prefer this carton of coconut milk. You could also sub in almond milk here, but coconut milk makes them a little extra creamy.
- Ghee – to keep this recipe Whole30/Paleo you will want to use ghee but you could also use butter.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT GARLIC MASHED POTATOES
Step 1: Peel the potatoes and cut them into 6-8 large chunks. Place them in the Instant Pot with just enough water to cover them.
Step 2: Cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. Manually release pressure immediately (according to manufacturer’s instructions).
Step 3: Drain the potatoes and return them in the Instant Pot.
Step 4: Begin mashing the potatoes and add the rest of the ingredients.
Step 5: Mash the potatoes to your desired consistency.
Step 6: Enjoy!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account – Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!Print
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Total Time: 19 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Instant pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes – the most delicious and creamy mashed potatoes made in minutes and packed with flavor!
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup ghee or butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Peel potatoes. Cut each potato into about 6-8 chunks.
- Add potato chunks to your Instant Pot and then add enough water to just barely cover them.
- Place the cover on the Instant Pot and set to Seal.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 9 minutes.
- Manually release pressure immediately (according to manufacturer’s instructions).
- Drain the potatoes and return to Instant Pot.
- Add ghee (or butter), coconut milk, salt, garlic, garlic powder, rosemary and garlic salt.
- Use a hand mixer to mix.
- Taste and add additional seasoning, as desired.
- Peeling Potatoes: Peeling the potatoes are optional, but it will turn out creamier if you do peel them.
- Coconut Milk: You could also sub in almond milk here, but coconut milk makes them a little extra creamy. I prefer this carton of coconut milk.
- Ghee: To keep this recipe Whole30/Paleo use ghee, but you can easily sub butter if you prefer.
- Hand Mixer: You could also just use a potato masher here, but I prefer to whip them with a hand mixer. Use whatever you prefer.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days.
- Cook Time: The 9 minute cook time does not include the few minutes it will take for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure.
Keywords: instant pot garlic mashed potatoes
I’m excited to try these! Do you think I could use cashew cream in place of the coconut milk?
Hi Tatum – I have never tried/tested this using cashew cream so I am not sure how it would turn out! Let me know if you try it though!
Mashed potatoes are great any time of year but they’re especially important at Thanksgiving. These were so flavorful and easy to prepare while focusing on other items. I was happy to find this great recipe to round out our meal.
Thank you so much, Faith!
Honestly the best mashed potatoes I’ve ever had! So creamy, so much flavor, and so easy to make. Made them for thanksgiving but planning on having these regularly!
Yay! So, so happy to hear that, Vrajika! I agree – this is my new go-to for mashed potatoes as well 🙂 Thanks so much for the feedback – it is so appreciated!
Turned out awesome!
So happy to hear that, Mary! Thanks for the feedback – I really appreciate it!
Ashley Bell says
Sooo good! My family loved these and couldn’t believe I didn’t use heavy whipping cream!
That’s amazing! And I agree – this is officially my new favorite way to make mashed potatoes 🙂 Thanks so much, Ashley, for taking the time to leave your feedback – I really appreciate it!
So happy to hear you enjoyed them! Thanks for the feedback, Mary!
Ashley Tochtermann says
Omg. Delicious! This is my new favorite way to make mashed potatoes. Made these for Thanksgiving.
Yay!! I know – these are officially my favorite way of making potatoes too! So easy. Thanks for the feedback, Ashley! It is greatly appreciated 🙂
These were the easiest, smoothest, and most delicious mashed potatoes I’ve ever had. This will be the only way I ever make mashed potatoes.
So happy to hear that, Becky! One of my new favorite recipes 🙂 Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, I really appreciate it!
Such a great and easy recipe! Made it today for thanksgiving and was ready so quickly and was so tasty
So happy you enjoyed them! Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback – I really appreciate it!
This mashed potatoes looks so creamy and delicious! Saving this recipe to make for my holiday dinner! Looks so yum!!
Have you tried putting the raw garlic in with the potatoes? I do that with stove top mashed potatoes. I’m thinking the raw garlic would be ( even in that small amount) too much. I’m sure it’s a personal preference.
Hi Steph! I haven’t – I agree it might be too much. But I was thinking some roasted garlic would be absolutely amazing!