These light & refreshing Ahi Tuna Tacos are made with perfectly seared tuna steaks, fresh cilantro, lime wedges, tortillas, and the most amazing mango pineapple salsa!! This flavor combination is perfect for your next Taco Tuesday!
Quick & Easy Ahi Tuna Tacos
Taco Tuesday has to be the best day of the week – atleast in our book it is! These ahi tuna tacos are simple enough for a quick weeknight dinner or you can cook up a few tuna steaks to impress a crowd. And if you love tacos as much as we do, you are definitely going to need to checkout our Steak Tacos, Tilapia Fish Tacos, & BBQ Chicken Tacos. Basically, put anything in a taco shell and we are there for it!
What You Will Need
- tuna steaks – you will want to buy fresh ones or make sure they are fully thawed.
- white sesame seeds, kosher salt, & pepper – a simple seasoning for searing the tuna steaks.
- tortillas – just grab your favorite – flour, corn, gluten-free, etc.
- fresh cilantro – the perfect compliment to any taco!
- lime wedges – we love serving these on the side for a fresh splash of lime juice before diving in.
- mango pineapple salsa – a simple salsa that is packed with so much great flavor! You have to make this!
Perfectly Seared Ahi Tuna
To achieve a perfect seared ahi tuna steak you will want to make sure that you pat the tuna dry, season with the sesame seeds, salt, & pepper, and then drizzle some oil in a skillet. The key to a perfect sear is making sure the oil-coated pan is nice and hot before setting the tuna steak in it. All of this is covered in detail in our How to Sear Ahi Tuna Steaks post. It will cook very quickly and your cooking time will vary depending on how rare you want it to be.
For these tacos we topped them with fresh cilantro, limes, and the best mango pineapple salsa in all the land! It really is a must for these ahi tuna tacos. Other toppings that would be delicious include avocado, sour cream, salsa, or tomatoes.
How To Make Ahi Tuna Tacos
First, you will mix up all of your ingredients for the mango pineapple salsa.
Next, it’s time to cook the tuna steak. Begin by patting it dry.
Then cover the tuna steak in white sesame seeds, kosher salt, and pepper.
Now you can drizzle some oil in a cast iron skillet and get the pan very hot! Sear the tuna steak for about 30 seconds to a minute, depending on how rare you want to keep your tuna, and then flip to the other side.
Cut up the tuna, place the pieces in tortilla shells, and pile on the toppings!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Ahi Tuna Tacos – a light and refreshing tuna tacos recipe with mango pineapple salsa! Healthy and delicious!
- 1 batch Mango Pineapple Salsa
- 1 inch thick tuna steak
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- white sesame seeds
- street taco tortillas
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- lime wedges
- Combine Mango Pineapple Salsa ingredients together; set aside.
- Place tuna steak on plate.
- Sprinkle each side with salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds per side.
- Pat seasoning into each side to make sure they stick.
- Take large cast iron skillet and add oil.
- Bring to medium-high heat.
- When oil just starts to smoke, place tuna steaks in skillet.
- Cook for 30-45 seconds per side (or up to 1 minute if you just barely want it rare in the middle).
- Remove and let rest on clean plate for 5 minutes.
- Cut tuna into bite-sized chucks.
- Take the street taco tortillas and add some salsa and pieces of tuna. Top with fresh cilantro and another squeeze of lime juice.
- Make ahead: feel free to make the salsa ahead of time and store in the refrigerator.
- Extra: you might have extra salsa, depending upon how many people you are serving – simply save the rest or serve with chips!
Keywords: ahi tuna tacos, tuna tacos