A simple step-by-step tutorial (including photos) on How to Carve a Turkey Breast perfectly every time! Follow along as we show you how to easily carve your bird to ensure that you get as much turkey meat as possible.
Simple & Easy Process To Carve A Turkey Breast
During some holiday seasons we host a big crowd and have to carve up a whole turkey, but some years we have a smaller crowd and this easy carving tutorial comes in really handy when making a roast turkey breast. Make sure you plan out how big of a turkey breast you will need, thaw it completely, use your preferred method for cooking, and then follow along as we show you how to easily carve your bird in minutes!
Need to add more flavor? Consider using a turkey seasoning, turkey marinade, turkey brine, or turkey injection to make a flavorful and juicy turkey breast!
What You Will Need
- cooked, bone-in turkey breast – you will want to use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees F after being cooked before you begin carving.
- large cutting board – we love using a large wooden cutting board that has a groove around the edge to collect some of the turkey juices.
- chef’s or carving knife – make sure your large kitchen knife is sharp and ready to go! You can also use an electric knife, if you have one.
How Long Should A Turkey Breast Rest Before Carving
Once your turkey breast is fully cooked (whether you roast it in the oven, cook it on the grill, or on the smoker), you will want to let it rest for about 30 minutes. This will allow all of those delicious turkey juices to redistribute. Simply cover the cooked turkey breast in aluminum foil and let it be while you use this time to mix up some turkey gravy from those roast pan drippings!
How To Carve A Turkey Breast
After your turkey breast has been cooked and had time to rest, it’s ready to carve! You can begin by placing your turkey breast on a large cutting board that won’t slide around as you work.
Now hold the turkey breast upright so that breasts and breastbone are on top. Locate the breastbone down the top of the bird and place your chef’s knife just to the side of that breastbone.
Cut from one end of the turkey breast to the other, staying as close to that breastbone as possible to make sure that you are getting the most amount of meat. Remove the breast and place on a platter.
Now it is time to move your knife to the other side of the turkey breast. Find that breastbone again and now you are going to cut the length of the turkey breast again. Remove the turkey breast from that side. Again, fully remove the breast and place on the same platter as the other turkey breast.
Pro Tip: don’t forget to save the bones to make some turkey broth or turkey stock!
Finally, after both turkey breasts are removed you can cut them into turkey slices. This makes them perfect for serving at your Thanksgiving table.
Best Ways To Use Turkey Breast Leftovers
We are always estimating high on the amount of turkey that we need for Thanksgiving dinner to make sure that we have plenty for everyone attending AND for all those amazing leftovers! Our favorite recipes to make with leftover turkey meat are Turkey Pot Pie, Turkey Wild Rice Soup, and sandwiches with Turkey Salad.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
How to Carve a Turkey Breast
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 carved turkey breast 1x
- Category: How-To
- Method: Counter Top
- Cuisine: American
How to Carve a Turkey Breast – a simple, step-by-step tutorial that teaches you how to easily carve a turkey breast!
- 1 cooked bone-in turkey breast
- carving board
- carving or chef’s knife
- Rest: Ensure turkey has rested 30 minutes after cooking (this allows the juices to redistribute).
- Prep Turkey + Carving Station: Place turkey on a large cutting board (breast side up) and ensure you have a sharp chef’s knife or carving knife. Having paper towels and a serving platter on hand will be helpful through the process.
- Remove One Breast: The breast bone runs down the middle of the turkey breast. Position your knife just next to the breast bone and make a cut from one end of the turkey to the other. Continue cutting down removing as much meat as possible. Disconnect the breast meat from the turkey and set aside on a platter.
- Repeat on other side: repeat these steps on the other side of the turkey removing the other breast.
- Slice and Serve: feel free to take the breast and cut into slices before serving.
- Chef vs. Carving Knife: feel free to use either here – an electric knife works too!
- Storage: store leftover turkey in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: fully cooked turkey can also be kept in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- Gravy: save those drippings! Use them to make some homemade turkey gravy!
- Leftovers: use your turkey leftovers to make Turkey + Wild Rice Soup, Turkey Cranberry Wraps, Turkey Noodle Soup or Turkey Pot Pie!
- Keep the bones: keep those turkey bones and make some turkey stock!
Keywords: how to carve a turkey breast
Leave a Rating & Comment