This is definitely the best Twice Baked Potatoes recipe you have ever had! They have a crisp potato skin, fluffy potato filling, melty cheese on top with your toppings of choice. A great side dish for any dinner!
Ultimate Twice Baked Potatoes
We absolutely love a simple baked potato, but sometimes you need to change things up and take it to that next level! These easy twice baked potatoes are the perfect combination of that classic baked potato and ultimate mashed potatoes with cheese melted over the top, plus bacon, green onions! They might look a bit involved by we are here to show you just how simple they can actually be. The whole family is going to love them!
Do you have a smoker? If you do, you should also try these Smoked Mashed Potatoes!!
What You Will Need
- large potatoes – we used russet potatoes and highly recommend that you use them too! You can also use Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes, but the skin is a little thin and not as sturdy.
- olive oil – rub some on the outside to help crisp up the potato skin.
- kosher salt & ground black pepper – simple seasonings that are always a must!
- ranch dressing, sour cream, & Greek yogurt – the perfect combination to make the potato filling rich and creamy, plus a ton of great flavor.
- butter – option to use regular butter, plant-based butter, or ghee for that added buttery flavor that is traditional for all potatoes.
- shredded cheese – we used colby jack cheese, but any of your favorite shredded cheeses will work great!
- toppings: bacon & green onions – we love these, but you could also top with broccoli, paprika, garlic powder, chives, etc.
How To Prepare Potatoes For Twice Baked Potatoes
After you have picked out your potatoes from the local grocery store, you can give the potato flesh a good scrub in the kitchen sink to make sure they are clean. Then pat them dry with paper towels. Now you can bake them in the oven whole until they are soft all the way through.
How To Make Twice Baked Potatoes
This classic side dish begins by rubbing the skin of the potato with olive oil, sprinkling on kosher salt, and bake potatoes in the oven until the middle is soft.
Let the potatoes cool for a bit, then grab a large kitchen knife and cutting board to slice the whole potatoes in half, lengthwise.
Now you should be able to use a spoon to scoop out the inside of each potato half.
Set aside the crispy potato shells, you will come back to these.
Place the scooped out potato insides in a large mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients (except the cheese and toppings).
Next, mash everything together with a manual potato masher, electric hand mixer, or use the paddle attachment on a stand mixer. Whip the potato filling until it is smooth.
Then scoop this mashed potato mixture back into the empty potato skins and place them in a large baking dish or on a prepared baking sheet.
Finally, sprinkle shredded cheese on top and place them on the middle rack of the oven to bake, for a second bake, until the cheese melts.
How Long Do You Heat Up Twice Baked Potatoes In The Oven
It depends if they were made the day of or the day before you serve them. If you are preparing these twice-baked potatoes right before you serve them, you only need to heat them in the oven to melt the cheese. Approximately 5-10 minutes. If you prepare these potatoes ahead of time and serve them the next day, you can heat them in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 20 and then add the cheese for melting.
Remove them from the oven and garnish with any of your favorite toppings.
Best Ways To Serve Twice Baked Potatoes
These delicious twice baked potatoes would make the perfect side dish for any meal! Our favorite ways to serve them are with some grilled steaks, a roasted chicken, smoked meatloaf, and grilled pork tenderloin. You could even serve them at your next holiday meal with a smoked prime rib, beef tenderloin or a honey glazed ham!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Twice Baked Potato Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Twice Baked Potatoes – an easy and delicious Twice Baked Potato recipe that is perfect for your next special occasion!
- 4 large russet potatoes
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2–3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- shredded cheese (colby jack is recommended)
- Toppings: sliced green onions, bacon bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- After washing off the potatoes, pat dry with a clean paper towel. Pierce with a fork 3-4 times. Drizzle with olive oil and rub all over to coat and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Place in the oven for the first bake, directly on the oven rack and let bake for 60-75 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
- Cut baked potatoes in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the inside, ensuring you leave a bit around the edges so the halved potato can still hold its shape.
- Place the scooped out insides into a large bowl along with the ranch, sour cream, Greek yogurt, butter, salt and pepper. Mix with potato masher for a more rough texture and a hand mixer for a smoother texture.
- Taste and add additional ingredients (salt, butter, etc) as desired. IF you find the mixture needs to be thinner feel free to add a splash of milk (as needed) to thin out a bit.
- Place potato halves on a baking sheet or dish (cut side up) and fill with potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and place in the oven, middle rack and uncovered, for 5-10 minutes at 375 degrees F. or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and garnish with sliced green onion and bacon. Serve and enjoy!
- Dairy-Free: feel free to use dairy-free ranch, dairy-free sour cream, plain dairy-free yogurt and vegan butter to make this dairy-free.
- Make Ahead: you can make these a day ahead if you want – simply follow the step through Step 7. Once your potatoes are filled and in a baking dish, cover with aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator. Leaving them covered in foil, place in the oven at 350 degrees F. for approx. 20 minutes before you are ready to use them. After 20 minutes, remove foil and top with shredded cheese – then place back in the oven, uncovered, until cheese melts (5-10 mins).
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving: we love serving these with a yummy Grilled Steak, Smoked Prime Rib or Roasted Beef Tenderloin!
- Serving Size: 1 potato half
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 466.5 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.7 g
- Protein: 8.8 g
- Cholesterol: 27.2 mg
Keywords: twice baked potatoes
Carolyn Werth says
So happy to hear that, Carolyn!
We made this recipe for Christmas dinner yesterday, what a huge hit with our guests! So easy to make and so tasteful. All my guests wanted the recipe and I pointed them to the Wooden Skillet. Thanks Erin!!
That’s awesome to hear!! Thank you!