Healthy Chicken Teriyaki Stir-Fry + Brown Rice is a veggie-packed weeknight meal that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Alright, final installment of “teriyaki-week” on The Wooden Skillet! Super quick recap – last weekend, I posted this incredibly easy How to Make Homemade Teriyaki Sauce and then promised to follow-up with a couple recipes that you could incorporate the teriyaki sauce into and that are weeknight friendly. My first quick and easy recipe was Easy Weeknight Teriyaki Chicken + Broccoli, followed up by Simple Teriyaki Noodle Bowl – and here we are with my last weeknight inspiration – Healthy Chicken Teriyaki Stir-Fry + Brown Rice!
Does anyone else struggle to get enough vegetables into their diet? Funnily enough, I am always making sure the kiddos get their daily dose of fruit and vegetables, but somehow the concern for myself has gone out the window. Does anyone else notice that? Their meals are nice portioned to ensure they have a vegetable, fruit, whole grains and protein….while I am scarfing down a peanut butter and honey sandwich and that’s it? If only us parents put that much thought into our own meals! I digress. Anyway, the point being, I typically get far less than the recommended servings of veggies – enter Healthy Chicken Teriyaki Stir-Fry + Brown Rice. I know, I know, the teriyaki sauce has some sugar in it. I get it. But you don’t need to have your stir-fry swimming in it people! Just add enough to coat. No swimming. This is a no swim zone.
But just look at all those veggies! When I am really feeling like I am sucking at the veggie intake, this is what I put on the weekly meal plan. Hot tip: Take 15 minutes the night before and cut up your veggies beforehand, because I don’t think that is something you will want to be doing as you are kicking off your high heals (or dress shoes) when you walk in the door. Even cut up the chicken and marinade it in the teriyaki sauce overnight. The rest is really a breeze.
So there, no more excuses. More veggies for all.
Well, that’s a wrap on teriyaki week – hopefully you guys got some inspiration to work into your weekly menu planning!
Remember, check out our Etsy Store to grab your own photography board!
Can’t wait to share all the new recipes I have been cookin up! Stay tuned!
- 1-2 lbs chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3-5 cloves fresh garlic, diced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 6 small or 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 container mushrooms, sliced
- 1 8oz can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 red or orange pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- brown rice, 4 cups cooked
- In wok, add 2 diced garlic cloves and olive oil.
- Stir on med-low heat until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add chicken.
- As chicken cooks, add a Tablespoon of teriyaki sauce if it gets too dry and chicken starts to stick.
- Remove chicken once fully cooked, place on plate and set aside.
- Drain any remaining liquid.
- Add remaining garlic and Tablespoon soy sauce.
- Stir and cook on medium heat until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add broccoli and carrots.
- Stir, add a tablespoon of teriyaki sauce and then cover.
- Let sit for 3 minutes.
- Uncover and add water chestnuts and red pepper.
- Stir and cover for an additional 2 minutes.
- Uncover, add mushrooms, onion and chicken.
- Stir and cover for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Uncover and stir.
- Add approximately ½ cup teriyaki sauce and stir thoroughly.
- Add any additional teriyaki sauce to reach desired amount.
- Serve over brown rice.