Whole30 Braised Lemon Garlic Chicken – the perfect way to liven up your Whole30 menu!
If you are ever looking for a new recipe that is going to wake up your taste buds…. this is it!
I don’t know how many lemon chicken recipes I have tried in my day. Too many to count. But I finally put all my good research to work and developed my very own lemon chicken recipe and I am so excited to be sharing it with you guys!
If you really want it to taste beyond amazing, then you first NEED to make my garlic confit. It is so easy you guys. You essentially just throw some raw garlic in a pan of olive oil and roast it for 2 hours – check out the recipe, you guys will love it. Once you do that, you will get to use both the resulting garlic-infused olive oil and the garlic confit in this recipe and it just elevates it to a whole other level. If you aren’t feeling making garlic confit, no biggie, you can make do – but I have to warn you that I might not be QUITE as fabulous.
I really amped up the garlic in here because I feel like it compliments the lemon so well. And I went heavy on the ghee. So you have a sauce, in the end, that is buttery and not too lemon-y and not too garlic-y. It is perfect.
We love having lemon chicken during Whole30’s because the lemon just wakes up your taste buds – and we always serve it with Creamy Whole30 Mashed Potatoes – don’t know why. They just go together. And some roasted broccolini because I could eat that stuff all. day. long.
Okay you guys – go make it. You are going to LOVE it!!!
Let me know what you think!
- 4 whole chicken legs (you could also substitute 6-8 chicken thighs)
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup arrowroot powder (you may need a bit more, depends how thick you are coating the chicken)
- 3 Tablespoons ghee
- 2 Tablespoons garlic-infused olive oil (sub regular olive oil)
- 2 cup chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 Tablespoons capers
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 lemons sliced (cut off ends)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup garlic confit (sub 6-8 raw garlic cloves, smashed)
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Take large cast iron skillet and melt 2 Tablespoons of ghee on medium-high heat, swirling pan to coat.
- Add olive oil.
- Place arrowroot powder in medium bowl next to skillet.
- One at a time, take chicken legs and coat in arrowroot powder and then place in skillet.
- Repeat with all legs and let cook 4-5 minutes per side.
- (if using thighs, you may need to do this in batches)
- Remove chicken and set on plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- In same skillet, add 1 Tablespoon of ghee and let melt.
- Add shallots and stir until they reduce, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice, capers, lemon slices, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Throw in a pinch of salt and then stir to combine.
- Nestle chicken in and place in the oven for 5 minutes at 450 and then reduce to 350, cooking for another 30-40 minutes.
- (if using thigh, it will only be another 20-30 minutes, or until fully cooked).
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Taste and additional salt, as desired.
- Serve immediately with sauce.