Smoked Carnitas – a delicious weeknight meal and the perfect way to use smoked pork shoulder leftovers!
The Best Smoked Carnitas
I believe that carnitas are traditionally braised, not smoked, and as a result would normally have an even juicier texture, which is lovely, but there is something about the smokiness and the rub on the pork that makes it a ridiculously good carnita. Maybe I am using the term too loosely, but when it tastes this good I don’t care what you call it.
What is Better for Carnitas Pork Shoulder or Pork Butt
Honestly either will work just fine!
Other Smoked Pork Shoulder Recipes
So, if you have been following the blog, your mission is to make Smoked Pork Shoulder this weekend and then you can make these meals throughout the week:
Boom. You’re welcome for planning your meals for the next couple days! If you have any other fun ideas for left over smoked pork, let’s hear’em!
How to Make Smoked Carnitas
Make some smoked pork shoulder!
Shred it after it rests for a while.
Placed shredded pork on foil-lined baking sheet and put in the oven at 450 degrees F. for 5-10 minutes to let it crisp up.
Use in your tacos with all the fixings!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!Print
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Tacos
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican-Inspired
Smoked Carnitas – made with amazing smoked pork shoulder, these carnitas are easy to throw together and so delicious!
- 1 batch Smoked Pork Shoulder (or ideally whatever leftovers you have)
- 1 can corn or 3–4 corn cobs roasted and kernels cut off*
- 2 avocados
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (approx. 1 cup chopped)
- 5–10 authentic tortillas
- 2 limes, sliced
- Your favorite barbecue sauce
- (Optional) homemade creamy coleslaw or spicy purple coleslaw
- Shred pork shoulder and place on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. and spread pork out on top.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until pork starts to crisp up.
- Remove from oven and serve in tortillas with corn, avocado, cilantro, bbq sauce and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Take tortilla and add desired amount of pork, corn, avocado, cilantro.
- Squeeze some lime on top.
- Add desired amount of barbecue sauce.
- Corn: you can also grill some corn on the cob and cut off the kernels if you don’t want to use canned corn.
- Leftovers: this recipe is geared more towards using a batch of Smoked Pork Shoulder leftovers as a way to get another meal out of that amazing recipe!
Keywords: smoked carnitas
Originally posted July 14, 2016. Updated with new photos May 29th, 2021.
Leave a Rating & Comment