Seven Layer Salad Recipe – a classic recipe with a few (healthier) twists! Always a hit and really easy to make! Perfect for holidays, get-togethers or weeknight meals!
Seven Layer Salad
This Seven Layer Salad is something I grew up eating – so excited to share the recipe with you guys!
For me, I grew up eating this whenever my mom made chili (specifically this chili recipe) along with cornbread. That is just what we did and I still make that combo to this day. Whenever the weather here in Minnesota turns chilly, chili + seven layer salad + cornbread is a combo I look forward to making (preferably on a Sunday while football is on).
For those of you have never heard of it – I am so excited for you to try it!!!
Can I make this Seven Layer Salad Ahead of Time
As I say in the Recipe Notes, you can prep most of it ahead of time. What I recommend is prepping all the ingredients (including mixing together the mayo-sauce) and then layering everything until you get to celery. Then stop and refrigerate everything. Right before it is time to eat, add that mayo layer and then the cheese and bacon.
What other Ingredients could I add to this 7 Layer Salad
So this is just how we have always made it, but I know some people add bell peppers, tomatoes or even a layer of hard-boiled eggs (cut up of course). Don’t let me stop you if you feel like experimenting!
How to Make Seven Layer Salad
Combine the dressing. Taste and adjust, as-needed.
Add all your layers (the recipe card below for specifics).
Serve and enjoy!
Here is a little deconstructed seven layer salad too if that is more your thing 🙂
Other recipes you might like:
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
Seven Layer Salad – a classic recipe with a few (healthier) twists! Always a hit and really easy to make! Perfect for holidays, get-togethers or weeknight meals!
- 1/2 head of ice berg lettuce, rip into small pieces
- 1 pkg frozen peas, thawed and uncooked
- 1/2 cup (more or less) yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup mayo (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 Tablespoon honey (to taste)
- 1 cup cheese (feel free to use goat cheese, regular or dairy-free)
- bacon bits (1 cup or approx. 8 pieces of bacon)
- Combine mayo and honey in a small bowl and mix to combine. Taste and add additional honey, to taste.
- Once all of your ingredients are prepared, take a 9×19 pan and layer: lettuce, peas, onion, celery, mayo sauce, cheese and bacon bits.
- Flexible: This recipe is SO easy to adjust if you have a bigger or smaller pan. The amounts listed can really be used as suggestions and if you end up adding more or less of something (depending upon what you have and what you like) it will still work perfectly. I honestly just eye-ball it with most of the ingredients!
- Lettuce – feel free to use other types of lettuce if you want, we have just always used ice berg and it has a nice crunch to it
- Mayo – I grew up using Hellmann’s mayo, but if you want a healthier version I would highly recommend making your own mayo! You can use a store-bought paleo mayo, but I do like the clean flavor of the homemade kind the best for this recipe!
- Cheese – feel free to use goat cheese, dairy-free cheese or just use regular cheese
- Bacon Bits – we grew up using store bought bacon bits, but if you want a healthier version you can always cook your favorite paleo/Whole30 bacon and crunch it up into your own version of bacon bits!
- Prep: If you want to prepare ahead of time simply layer everything until you get to the mayo sauce. Cover and refrigerate. Prepare the mayo sauce, cover and refrigerate. Right before serving add the mayo sauce layer and then the cheese and bacon.
- Pan: If you are making this for a regular dinner I would recommend using a 9×9 pan, but if you want to make it fancy feel free to use a trifle dish like in the photo! You really don’t have to change the amounts for the ingredients (unless your trivet is especially large).
Keywords: seven layer salad recipe, seven layer salad, 7 layer salad recipe, 7 layer salad